New to the hobby!

greeniejr

Hello all,

My name is Connor, I live in Newport Beach, and a good friend of mine recently upgraded his tank and had a bunch of gear left over. He sold (pretty much gave) me everything I would need in order to start a reef tank (skimmer, 45 gal display, lights, ect.) I had always wanted to get into the hobby, but could never afford a fraction of what I would have needed, so I had to jump on the opportunity. I have actually never had a fish tank before, fresh or salt, but I assure you that I am not underestimating this new venture. For the past few weeks I have done nothing but read anything and everything I could find on the subject, plan my plumbing, making an overflow, and sealing up and modifying a 10$ 29 gal tank I found on Craigslist to be my sump. I am officially done with plumbing and planning, and now ready for water and rock, that I will hopefully have in my tank by max. I plan of focusing mainly on coral, as I enjoy hands on hobbies and I love the idea of diversifying my aquariums through fragging and trading. I am so excited to be a part of this community, and to have a little piece of ocean in my room. I look forward to meeting many of you and sharing ideas, experiences, and coral. Happy reefing!

pgr11

Supporter
Welcome aboard. Be warned your wallet will never recover. Post some pics of your gear you have so far and how you laid it all out.

greeniejr

Ahaha my wallet is a lot lighter already, and I have a pretty long shopping list, so you all are definitely right. Hopefully my tendency towards DIY projects will alleviate that a bit. I'll post pics when I get home. Thank you all for the warm welcome!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

greeniejr

Here are some pictures:

The sump will be in the space under the desk with the tubes

Here is the custom sump with all it's components. It's currently outside and filled with water to check the seals.

Some other perspectives.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Latest posts