My return to the hobby with a CAD Lights 22g nano

After 2 years out of the hobby I've been getting the itch again to get back in. Something a little smaller this time around. I got the tank used but in perfect condition from CL back on 3/22. The guy also threw in a 24" 4x24 T5 and 250w MH combo fixture with no ballast and dead bulb. Picked up a ballast and bulb from another guy. The guy gave me the live sand and the dry rocks were some that I still had laying around. The matching stand and light hangers came from CAD Lights a week later. The wp-10 came in yesterday. Next addition will be either a nano skimmer or ATO. Tank is still cycling right now but it shouldn't be much longer because I reused the sand and the filter media.

EyeReef

Admin
admin
Supporter
My Tank Build
Nice start Toua! What are you planning to stock the tank with?

Nice start Toua! What are you planning to stock the tank with?
Gonna be mostly lps, softies, zoas and some easy sps. I'm planning to keep 5 fish

-juvenile clown
-watchman goby
-midas blenny
-firefish
-bengaii cardinal

Inverts will be
-1 peppermint shrimp
-1 scarlet skunk shrimp

Finally got my test kit and got the results last night
ammonia - 0
nitrite - 0
nitrate -.025
ph - 8.1
dkh - 11.2

Looks like I'm ready for a few fish and some corals this weekend.

Picked up some fish and corals this past weekend. Big thanks to Eric (Emac909) for the free frags and great price on the frogspawn.

What's up?

FTS

4/21

Almost had a tank crash over the weekend. So Friday morning I turned off the return pump to do a quick feeding before leaving to work. Made a boneheaded mistake and never turned it back on. Left for work but wouldn't return home til late Sunday cause I was catching a flight out after work. I even installed an ATO Thursday night anticipating for my absence. Got home late last night and noticed a cloudy tank, a couple pieces of corals knocked over and many of them closed up, a dead peppermint shrimp, and 3 fish no where to be seen. Quickly turned the return pump on and did a quick feeding to see if that would bring out the missing fishes. 2 of them came out and finally found the blenny hiding in the rock. The ATO sensor was tripped but no water was being pumped so 3 days with no water being topped off.

Luckily only a shrimp was lost. Gonna do a water change tonight and replace the aqualifter on the ato. Looks like it was the culprit on why no water was being pumped even though the ato was triggered.

Smite

Premium Member
Supporter
2020 POTM
I did the same thing during the winter. Left the return off on a cold night, my heaters in the back so my display temp dropped way down. I had to sit there and run the return for a second then turn it off to slowly get the temps the same. Pain in the ***

I've had a hard time with the Aqualifter pump and my Nano24 setup - pretty similar to yours as far as height of the display. After replacing the pump with another new one it still wouldn't work, the pump wasn't strong enough to push the water that height. I split the difference, mounting the aqualifter closer to the height of the display cutting the push/suction of the pump in 1/2, now it works fine. Might be something you want to try before buying a new one like I did.

Great looking tank, I really like the layout.