Cleaning new setup with vinegar?

So I just bought a used 75 gallon setup and wanted to get it clean.. The guy I bought it from said it had been in his garage for a couple months and would recommend a good cleaning..So my question is, how much vinegar should I use and what kind? also how long should I let the water sit in there? and finally can I use tap water with the dechlorinator?

bvysochin

Supporter
2020 POTM
Oak View, CA 93022- about 15 min from Ventura
I'd use tap water, no dechlorinator necessary. The vinegar is white distilled vinegar.. I believe its avail at Costco or most grocery stores for a couple bucks for a 1.5 gallon jug. I can't remember how much it takes to saturate the water, but I typically dump a jug in for a 55 or 75 gal tank. I'd let it sit for a while (days), depending on how much coralline is built up. You'll know when its ready because the coralline will clean off real easy. It does take some elbow grease still, occasionally.. can always add a splash more vinegar. After you're done, you can save some of the vinegar water in a 5gal bucket for future uses. (Soaking pumps, skimmers, power heads, heaters, etc). Be careful leaving pumps or power heads in there for extended periods of time though as I've heard of negative effects with the impellers.

^^^^+1. After your done cleaning it make sure and rinse well and let the tank sit for at least 24hrs to let the residual tapwater and chlorine to evaperate. After that you should be good to go

Sent from my SGH-T999 using Tapatalk

Six2seven

Premium Member
Supporter
On top of what was already said this is a good time to clean anything you already have. Throw all pumps and your skimmer in there for a good cleaning at the same time.

Titanwerx

Premium Member
Supporter
I too use vinegar to clean everything, I don't have an a Acrylic tank but Skimmers are acrylic so I would think it's ok.

solitude127

Instant Ocean User
Supporter
Featured Reef
2020 POTM
can you use this vinegar/water mix on an acrylic tank and skimmer Too!!! I have a used acrylic tank I need to clean up before I put it back up?
I've used Vinegar/water mix to clean my old 90g acrylic with no issues