Mg supplementation ?

Can mg additives cause SPS to RTN? My Mg has been low AT 1000 two days ago when I checked. I follow the seachem directions on the dry Mg supplement (reef advantage Mg) for two days adding 12 teaspoons, mind your I have a 240g tank. Well, two days did that figuring it would raise 60 points each time.

Also, is this a good Mg to use?

Finally, what is a good Mg test kit. I am using the seachem now and don't trust it.

Thanks!

I use Salifert's test kit

I also use Kent's Tech M.......................

Slowly raising your mag is much more advantageous then raising it at one....

Interesting to know low levels can RTN.

It was only two days into the additions of it. I had more to go to get it into the 1300 range from 1000. After two days it would've jumped to 1120. So adding daily for 6 days straight would get me to 1360.

To aggressive? That's the directions anyway.

Bebo- what mg supplement do you use? And test kit?

Bebo77

same thing happened to me a few months back.. corals started looking bad so i test everything and Mg tested low... i had to dose and entire bucket of Seachem reef mg to get my levels back to 1300+

lol, that's funny it took the whole bucket. What's the frequency of what you add now and how much? I was thinking of adding the mg to my topoff water????

Bebo77

i have a pretty complex sump.. but i basically put it in a "mixing area" of my sump...

at 1st i added .5 a cup a day.. but stepped it up over the 2 weeks... lol i was scared that i was going to OD my tank... thats a lot of MG.... lol

i have a pretty complex sump.. but i basically put it in a "mixing area" of my sump...

at 1st i added .5 a cup a day.. but stepped it up over the 2 weeks... lol i was scared that i was going to OD my tank... thats a lot of MG.... lol
Dude, no doubt. I'm doing the same thing, I guess a couple weeks a bucket later I should be there too. Good to hear you had to do the same thing.

Thanks!

Latest posts