What happened to CFM?

I attended the one in ontario a couple of years ago when I first started getting into reefing it was a great experience. I remember the last one was in sfv and it was horrible like only handful of people showed, but yeah I think it was a bad location.

johnwin84

Premium Member
Supporter
How big of a venue is needed to pull something like this off

Sent from my Nexus 5 using Tapatalk
As big as someone can afford. Insurance , extra power and man power are some of the things you have to factor in. Cfm has basically everything we will need ( pipe,drapes, extension cords, pa and so forth). I helped set up and break down most of the Cfm events

Last edited:
I attended the one in ontario a couple of years ago when I first started getting into reefing it was a great experience. I remember the last one was in sfv and it was horrible like only handful of people showed, but yeah I think it was a bad location.
The one in ontario was POPPIN when I went. Idk why they would change it when that was working.

Steve if your reading this, BRING BACK CFM!!!!

Lanshark

I just loved the atmosphere. It was very chill and laid back and friendly. It was where I caught the red bugs for the first time, but it was still an awesome show! Haha
For first time, yikes! So, you must have eradication process down pat? How did you treat, QT or full display?

lowbudget

Premium Member
Supporter
As big as someone can afford. Insurance , extra power and man power are some of the things you have to factor in. Cfm has basically everything we will need ( pipe,drapes, extension cords, pa and so forth). I helped set up and break down most of the Cfm events
Supervised.....

The CFM in sylmar was pretty much a bust. I was hoping that it was going to POP. It was too big of a venue, parking was a issue as well as finding it. Im hoping in the near future to have a coral show put on here in the valley.

ericta000

2020 Philanthropist
Supporter
The CFM in sylmar was pretty much a bust. I was hoping that it was going to POP. It was too big of a venue, parking was a issue as well as finding it. Im hoping in the near future to have a coral show put on here in the valley.
With pulled pork I am there!!!!!

yea the CFMs were way better in my opinion. Feels like were all hobbyists in there and no drama. I didn't go to the one in Sylmar.

LOL, what possible drama can there be at a fish show? (er, at least the kind that anyone cares about?)

Yea, Steve goes way back (I had booked him for our SCMAS Christmas Party back in 2006)....I was wondering if his CFM's were doing well or not in this economy

Last edited:
Back to the subject at hand,

The main problem is that it is a thankless job requiring alot of hard work and financial responsibility to pull off even a small event.
Worse yet, there are few people with the time and resources who are willing to sacrifice to such extent.

as no doubt Steve found out himself, it simply isn't cost effective to hold such an event here in Southern California.
With two large events already serving SoCal (MAX and RAP) combined with an almost infinite number of retail shops (150+ at last count) hobbyists here are simply not as "hungry" for product.
It's basic economics: provide zone A with X number of widgets over Y amount of time and Z level of Demand develops (or lack thereof)

One could say "I'd like to have a vegetable farmer's market around the corner from my house" (and so would many others, no doubt) but that doesn't necessarily mean its a financially viable idea.

The best course of action is probably what MASVC have been doing for years: hosting a frag swap in a commercial location (thank goodness they finally left the TAAM location) and just having fun with it.

The CFM shows in Ontario are some of the best shows I ever attended. Aside from when I handed my wife a bag of 6 or 7 frags to hold while I paid for another and she set the bag down and someone walked off with it!

But other than that great shows!

CFM SFVR had potential and if you went you probably walked out with great deals. Our show each winter seems to bring in a great turn out of hobbyists and show is non stop with crazy raffles every hour and can't forget to mention that pulled pork everyone dreams about when they come to our show. I just started putting emails together for this year and we are having our first coordinating meeting in a couple of weeks. One big thing we are looking into is a 2 day show for the first time. A lot of vendors have asked about it so we are considering it.

Sent from my iPhone 5s using Tapatalk