Dry rock acid bath?

Supramike

Should I give this rock a acid bath? I just picked it up yesterday from a craigslist add. I'm a little skeptical on doing this.

Should I give this rock a acid bath? I just picked it up yesterday from a craigslist add. I'm a little skeptical on doing this.
I acid washed all my rocks. They were new aquamaxx rocks from Marine depot. There was all kind if crud coming off them. If they were used from Craigslist, I would ABSOLUTELY acid wash them. Those rocks could be filled with phosphates

Yeah wash them. I bleached mine and thought they looked great , but after an acid wash even more nasty stuff came off. Home Depot Has The Acid You Need In The Pool Section

Yeah wash them. I bleached mine and thought they looked great , but after an acid wash even more nasty stuff came off. Home Depot Has The Acid You Need In The Pool Section
sorry to jump in guys...by any chance do you know the acid's name? and when your done with the acid wash what comes after?

Muriatic acid. I just let it sit in the acid, added baking soda which is suppose to neutralize it, rinse, and, let sit in water and air dry after.

sorry to jump in guys...by any chance do you know the acid's name? and when your done with the acid wash what comes after?
Muriatic acid. I just let it sit in the acid, added baking soda which is suppose to neutralize it, rinse, and, let sit in water and air dry after.
I soaked my rocks in a 30g trash can full of tap water and acid. Let it sit until the bubbles stopped. (Maybe 10-15 minutes). Then I dumped out the water and rinsed the rocks really well. Then let them air dry. Pretty simple. Nothing bad happened. And so far my tank has zero algae problems. Had a small diatom bloom, after a couple days it all cleared up.

lowbudget

Premium Member
Supporter
I soaked my rocks in a 30g trash can full of tap water and acid. Let it sit until the bubbles stopped. (Maybe 10-15 minutes). Then I dumped out the water and rinsed the rocks really well. Then let them air dry. Pretty simple. Nothing bad happened. And so far my tank has zero algae problems. Had a small diatom bloom, after a couple days it all cleared up.
Baking soda to neutralize it knucklehead. Before dumping it out. Wear protective mask. Do in open area

xmas_one

Green tint on there is a little spooky, if that came from a fish only tank and the guy used copper based meds...

I would definitely acid wash the snot out of that rock.

Schintzel's method above works well.

I would let your rock sit in there a while longer just to be sure.

No need for baking soda, the rock actually neutralizes the acid if you let it go long enough and you didn't use a ridiculous amount of acid.

Latest posts