where to put your probe????

hello,

where do you put your grounding probe(if you have one)?
tank? sump? both?
i use to run 1 in my dt, until my new system. my new system is larger so i got 2,1 in the sump and 1 in the dt.

what do you guys think?

here is a post i came across, which i agree with

actually, BOTH, . as a electrician , i thought either place woulda taken care on stray/induced voltage, but over the years , i've a couple of instances where one is not enuf . i thought the water would "bridge" the two together, but have found out,sometimes that is not the case,,,,
just to let you know,,,

thanks dave

I don't have anything in the display that uses power, except for my cheap temperature sensor from petsmart.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Grounding probes absorb any stray voltage that may be flowing through the water. It can happen with all wquoprment, new or old. I once had a heater that the seal came loose on and it was shocking my fish, and last year a powerhead shocking my new clown pair for like a week before someone pointed out what was going on.

xmas_one

Grounding probes absorb any stray voltage that may be flowing through the water. It can happen with all wquoprment, new or old. I once had a heater that the seal came loose on and it was shocking my fish, and last year a powerhead shocking my new clown pair for like a week before someone pointed out what was going on.
This seems to be what most people who run them think. Only time to run them is if you are messing with the tank and it is plugged into the GFI (to protect you, not the fish/corals). Running one all the time "to absorb stray voltage" (from your gear faulty or not) is no bueno, you are now actually pulling current through the tank by giving the voltage a place to go (the stupid probe). Most gear we run on our tanks will put some potential (voltage) into the water and this is not a problem. If you're getting straight up zapped when you stick your hand in the tank, something is wrong/bad and needs to be replaced. Adding a grounding probe to a tank that has a bad heater/pump/whatever makes the problem worse.

Really? I had a Sailfin Tang I recently rehomed cuz he outgrew my tank. He was spacing out a lot and my lfs guy said I was stray voltage. So I out the probe in the sump and never took it out. The Tang chilled out after I put it in. Is there harm in leaving it in there?

Before tunzes i used to put probes in the DT by each (2) powerheads, and one in the sump near the heater.

Then i ran a setup without probes because i used external everything, external returns, closes loop with oceans motions. Thats when the natural "piece of the ocean" look was in.

I had some tunzes again & submerged returns so i have 1 probe in the DT (through the overflow teeth) and1 in the sump return compartment. Ive been zapped too.

Latest posts