Blown blotches on pbt after cupramine treatment

So I bought a powder blue tang about 2 weeks ago , placed him in a 20 gallon quarantine he's about 2.5 inches . He'd been doing fine until Sunday morning noticed white spots on him ICH I'm familiar with it since I've lost a blue tang to it . So I started treating with cupramine yesterday evening tested the water for copper make sure I didn't over dose , woke up this morning and found now that he has brown or dark bloches , I am unsure of what this is since I've never seen this before I rechecked my copper and was at 0.4 . Here's a picture to try to identify what it is , it's the best one I could take , oh and there's also a yellow tang in quarantine with him , but he's doing all great

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

is he eating? is the yellow picking on him?
He was eating fine yesterday , but when I feed them today he wasn't , and from what I've seen no he's not , they've been swimming calmly , not chasing each other in other words , they've even hide together in the PVC fittings

Powder blue and brown tend to get those spot for some reason or another from copper treatment. Has the 20 been treated with other fish prior to PBT. How did you treat the 20? Going forward pay attention to their gills if you notice reddish or extended bresthing. You want to ask fast, bc copper to strong and/or bacteria has not fully colonized from copper. Btw, what test kit you working with… .

Powder blue and brown tend to get those spot for some reason or another from copper treatment. Has the 20 been treated with other fish prior to PBT. How did you treat the 20? Going forward pay attention to their gills if you notice reddish or extended bresthing. You want to ask fast, bc copper to strong and/or bacteria has not fully colonized from copper. Btw, what test kit you working with .
This is the first time I'm treating fish in the 20 , I used a canister filter I had , I placed the bio pellets of what ever there called that I had in my sump for about 2 months I had set up the quarantine tank about 3 weeks before placing the fish in it to assure water was in check and I'm using I'm pretty sure the API test kit ...

This is the first time I'm treating fish in the 20 , I used a canister filter I had , I placed the bio pellets of what ever there called that I had in my sump for about 2 months I had set up the quarantine tank about 3 weeks before placing the fish in it to assure water was in check and I'm using I'm pretty sure the API test kit ...

If you setup the qt with ceramucs from your DT and let it run WO fish for 2wks. Your bacteria colony has either decimated and is under populated….so your using cupramine and testing it with api copper kit? If you are just go ahaead and dump that in the trash. Api test kit are junk… if I remember. Cupramine label state to dose 1ml per 10.5g wait 24 hr them dose again for a dosage level of 0.05. If you followed that instruction on a decimated bacteria colony then chances success rate is not slim. I wiped out my qt with that process. Pay attention to their gills!!! ! If its looks reddish or inflamed do 30 or 40% WC to drop copper concentration . copper is very lethal. With the proper kit stable dosage for cupramine is 0.05 any thing over that and your FUBAR… IME, I was only successful with accurate test using seachem copper kit while dose with cupramine

If you setup the qt with ceramucs from your DT and let it run WO fish for 2wks. Your bacteria colony has either decimated and is under populated.so your using cupramine and testing it with api copper kit? If you are just go ahaead and dump that in the trash. Api test kit are junk if I remember. Cupramine label state to dose 1ml per 10.5g wait 24 hr them dose again for a dosage level of 0.05. If you followed that instruction on a decimated bacteria colony then chances success rate is not slim. I wiped out my qt with that process. Pay attention to their gills!!! ! If its looks reddish or inflamed do 30 or 40% WC to drop copper concentration . copper is very lethal. With the proper kit stable dosage for cupramine is 0.05 any thing over that and your FUBAR IME, I was only successful with accurate test using seachem copper kit while dose with cupramine
Thanks James , I just placed and order for a seachem copper test kit , and will do a water change as soon as I get home

Thanks James , I just placed and order for a seachem copper test kit , and will do a water change as soon as I get home

Spread to dosage over a 4 day time frame(1ml today, another tomorrow, another the next, final on the 4th) . but since you have traces 0f it already just go slow to let your bacteria to colonize. Copper will wipe half of the colony, but they colonize fast… GL, HTH. Pm me if you need help with anything

reefes pieces

Premium Member
Supporter
I'd do a WC and scale back the copper concentration. Then slowly bring it back up. The pbt doesn't seem to be reacting well to copper strength

Latest posts