Stand questions or recommendatiins...

robert_ellis

Premium Member
Supporter
My question/recommendation would be why don't we use aluminum I beams for frame works on stands? I beams are a Ton stronger then tubes square or circle. I know it's more expensive but you could make a span of 6-8 ft with no worry about structural integrity. I know it's pricey but how nice would it be to have a 4-6 ft door in the front with no brace or tube in the middle? Just trying to get one of those info threads going to help out people with questions.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-N900A using Tapatalk

In my personal experience you could use an aluminum I beam however you would need to pretension it. In other words it would need to be welded in with a slight upward curve to it like a flatbed tractor trailer has so that when loaded up with a tank it ends up straight. Aluminum is strong and light but it tends to bend a little when under a load

Sent from my SGH-T999 using Tapatalk

bigger cross section.

a square shape is basically an I-beam with 2 webbing on the edges, instead of a single webbing down the center.

in order to achieve the same strength in the direction of force, your I-beam would have to have a thicker center web ($$) or a deeper web.

this is why when structural engineers need to save space with columns, they use tubesteel instead of wide flanges (i-beams).

while the theory sounds right to you, the actual physics and calculations do not reflect it. you would actually lose clearance by going with an i-beam.

robert_ellis

Premium Member
Supporter
I use I beams at work all the time. They are stronger then tube steel. Has to do with the way it's designed. I'm not an engineer but I know it is stronger. And I don't think the weight of the tank would have enough weight to cause a deflection. You would have to put a lot more weight then say 3k- 4k pounds on what would be 2 I beams to cause a deflection.

I use I beams at work all the time. They are stronger then tube steel. Has to do with the way it's designed. I'm not an engineer but I know it is stronger. And I don't think the weight of the tank would have enough weight to cause a deflection. You would have to put a lot more weight then say 3k- 4k pounds on what would be 2 I beams to cause a deflection.

are you comparing apples to apples? or apples to oranges?

a tubesteel with the same material thickness, and same overall dimension (lets say 2"x4") will be stronger than an I-beam with the same thickness, with 2" flanges and 4" web.

if you're comparing apples to oranges, however, where the webbing is thicker, or dimensions greater, then yeah, the I-beam would be stronger.

Latest posts