To go reef or not to go reef is the question....

GoBigGuy

Hello All,

I have a 90gal Seaclear System II tank with the built in filter in the back. My original plan was just have a FOWLR tank but after spending time on here and reading and seeing all the great posts about reef tanks I've now been tempted to go down the reef road.

My big question is how much extra work and extra money will it add compared to just going with a FOWLR tank? Right now my plan was just upgrade my lighting and that was it.

Thanks!

Save yourself money and major pita by going FOWLR. Reef can be $5000 coral and equipment upgrades.

reefLA1

Go reef you wont regret it . The price defference depends if you go lps softys or sps . Sps is alot more money and time to always have water perfect . Fowlr 90 is not that big and there wouldnt be much to choose from .

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Take your time with the build if you go reef and enjoy the natural maturation of the tank. All you really need to start off is an ato test kits and weekly water changes with good water

Sent from my SM-N900V using Tapatalk

I was fish only for a long long time.. when I finally sucked it up and went Reef, it was the greatest decision ever..... my only regret was dating girls that accepted how passionate I am with reefing..

reefes pieces

Premium Member
Supporter
Reefing can be easy and cheap depending on the direction u want to go. Just make sure u don't go on a whim. Plan out ur end goal and practice patience. I can't imagine my tank without coral in it.

I would do a lot of research before you start a reef, if you are a perfectionist or ocd you will constantly want to upgrade, want the best equipment, just take it slow and cheap and research a lot, dont buy anything expensive unless you know it can go on a bigger tank which you will want. It can be done cheap but honestly look at spending around 3-5k in a year of the hobby for a above average tank set up and corals.

Reefing can be easy and cheap depending on the direction u want to go. Just make sure u don't go on a whim. Plan out ur end goal and practice patience. I can't imagine my tank without coral in it.
Take your time with the build if you go reef and enjoy the natural maturation of the tank. All you really need to start off is an ato test kits and weekly water changes with good water

Sent from my SM-N900V using Tapatalk
Ask these 2 how much I screwed up my tank and then listen to them.

My lack of patience and discipline led to a lot of death and flushed cash

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I337 using Tapatalk

Arnel0387

If you want to go reef, don't use your current tank. Find a reef-ready setup (where you can add a sump in the stand). Cheap and awesome setups come by here and RC quite often. I've had that sea clear system II tank and it sucked! It's great for freshwater, but not for saltwater IME.

If you do, take your time and do lots of research!