Trouble on the tips!!

Diesel

Some of mine SPS are getting tip burn and when I touch the end it will crumble easily.
Don't get it as my Alk is steady at 8.5/8.7, Cal at 440 mag 1350 and PH at 8.05 in the morning and early evening close to 8.3
Now my PH always was in the morning 7.8 and in the early evening 8.00.
I dose two part and my light schedule didn't change in the last 6 months.
Only change I made was a new sump 6 weeks ago.

You would think alk burn but I test with Redsea and Hanna.

Six2seven

Premium Member
Supporter
How often do you test your alkalinity?

Most people mistake readings, the number is not what's necessarily important but the stability is what really matters. It might be 8.5 today but if it was 7 yesterday that could be a problem.

Diesel

Since I experience this I test every other day.
My # are always spot on.
Only thing that blows my mind too on the moment is that my PH is going up always had it stable between 7.8 and 8 now the last four days it up close to 8.35.
Never had it that high, didn't increase dosing schedule at all.

Six2seven

Premium Member
Supporter
Since I experience this I test every other day.
My # are always spot on.
Only thing that blows my mind too on the moment is that my PH is going up always had it stable between 7.8 and 8 now the last four days it up close to 8.35.
Never had it that high, didn't increase dosing schedule at all.
I wouldn't worry about the PH too much. That is still a very acceptable range. However there must be something going in in there. Temps? Any change in lighting? What are your phosphates at? Do you run any bio-pellets? Switch salts lately?

Diesel

I wouldn't worry about the PH too much. That is still a very acceptable range. However there must be something going in in there. Temps? Any change in lighting? What are your phosphates at? Do you run any bio-pellets? Switch salts lately?
Temps are at 78, no change in lighting or schedule, I run Radions now for two years.
PO4 is at 0.12.
No bio-pellets.
Now I did switch to new salt, I went from IO for reef to Oceanic.
We did a GB here I Houston on that salt and had a pallet of buckets delivered.
All buckets were sealed.
I use the same salt mix on my fragtanks and corals do good in there.

Six2seven

Premium Member
Supporter
What do you think it is?

Sounds like you don't think anything is wrong. It must be something. Not necessarily wrong but some kind of change. Since it's only burnt tips and not RTN or STN it must have been a small change or else you would have lost more. Maricultured sps tend to die on their own with slight fluctuations. I thought someone else might have joined the conversation with their opinions by now but without knowing more I can only guess. Best of luck

Diesel

What do you think it is?

Sounds like you don't think anything is wrong. It must be something. Not necessarily wrong but some kind of change. Since it's only burnt tips and not RTN or STN it must have been a small change or else you would have lost more. Maricultured sps tend to die on their own with slight fluctuations. I thought someone else might have joined the conversation with their opinions by now but without knowing more I can only guess. Best of luck
Thanks my friend.
Yes, the thread is still young, hoping to get more input.
There should be someone or more that had maybe the same happening in their hobby experience.

watchguy123

Featured Reef
Tips generally mean either lights, nutrients or alk. New lights can be causative. Low nutrients and high alk are also causative. Alk swings generally cause both browning and burnt tips as well as STN at the base.

Of course everything and anything else in the tank can be contributory. Wonderful, rapid growth also leads to white tips.

Any pictures? Probably won't help to figure out what's going on, but it's always good (fun) to look at pics

No matter what's going on, it always seems to be alk. Primarily if you have the diligence to maintain alk, you probably have the husbandry skills to manage all else But every accomplished reefer, somehow finds him//her in some confounding bind at some point along the timeline. I can't find any issue to point a finger at in your case.

Backtracking and carefully assessing any changes in the last few months may shed some light. New salt or new bucket of same salt, are your water purication filters overdue for a change. Is there anything in your saltwater preparation that has changed. Just have to do the Sherlock holmes thing.

Last edited:

Diesel

Tips generally mean either lights, nutrients or alk. New lights can be causative. Low nutrients and high alk are also causative. Alk swings generally cause both browning and burnt tips as well as STN at the base.

Of course everything and anything else in the tank can be contributory. Wonderful, rapid growth also leads to white tips.

Any pictures? Probably won't help to figure out what's going on, but it's always good (fun) to look at pics

No matter what's going on, it always seems to be alk. Primarily if you have the diligence to maintain alk, you probably have the husbandry skills to manage all else But every accomplished reefer, somehow finds him//her in some confounding bind at some point along the timeline. I can't find any issue to point a finger at in your case.

Backtracking and carefully assessing any changes in the last few months may shed some light. New salt or new bucket of same salt, are your water purication filters overdue for a change. Is there anything in your saltwater preparation that has changed. Just have to do the Sherlock holmes thing.

Thanks.
You right on the Sherlock holmes quote.
At this point it blows my mind as I'm over careful with my tank as always.
Quarantine both fish for three months or longer same as my corals, have a small 40 gallon frag tank running 24/7 and all new frags will go in there for at least 2 weeks.
I dib my new corals with Bayer before going in the frag tank.
Filters are monitored by auto TDS meters and even I check with a hand held.
I did got a new batch of 2 part and new salt too, maybe it was just a bad bucket or batch 2 part.
Sure I like to hear more from reefers.
But it's a waiting game as of now, just hoping to see signs of recovery soon.
As always I keep this thread alive to post more news and I just hope it will be for the good only.

Ben.