Best drilling method

YouTube makes it look easy. Going through the top back glass. It's not tempered. Corded hand drill freehand/drill guide/DIY wood guide? Or build a brace/support and use a drill press? Dribble water throughout or dam method? 110 gal tank 60"x18". Anyone have good/bad experiences drilling? Any super secret special tips or tricks?

Spinner

Supporter
We used a drill press many times when drilling tanks make sure you support glass from under side if doing this way. Make a plywood pattern and build a weir out of plumbers putty to hold water. No matter which way you choose go slow and let the bit do the work. First hole takes the longest piece of cake after that:)

Good Luck!

I use the wrench that you use to remove the canister from RO system as my dam. I do the tilt method to grab then slowly angle. I would recommend to put a rag, towel or something to pad the glass when it goes thru without cracking. Go slow and let the bit work for you, especially towards the end which is crucial or else you get clamed...GL

xmas_one

Just use water, go slow at the end, and use a drill motor with a clutch on it (just in case you newb out and jam the bit).

You want the bit turning at the highest speed right? I saw some nut on YouTube say the slowest is best and he cracked like 3 tanks. Seems to me that way too much vibration in the glass at slow speeds. Would using any kind of cutting oil be better than water? Like the stuff you use to cut a pane of glass?

Take the tank to Chad at Coral Gazers... He just drilled my 120

Sent from my Nexus 5 using Tapatalk

Clifford

Premium sponsor
I use the wrench that you use to remove the canister from RO system as my dam. I do the tilt method to grab then slowly angle. I would recommend to put a rag, towel or something to pad the glass when it goes thru without cracking. Go slow and let the bit work for you, especially towards the end which is crucial or else you get clamed...GL
Curious where you got the idea of using the ro wrench?

gerry0625

I drilled the back of my sons 27g cube, i got everything from glass-holes.com like everyone has said let the drill bit do the work and the weight of the drill you are there to guide it keep water flowing and you will be fine have fun, i want to see pics...

You want the bit turning at the highest speed right? I saw some nut on YouTube say the slowest is best and he cracked like 3 tanks. Seems to me that way too much vibration in the glass at slow speeds. Would using any kind of cutting oil be better than water? Like the stuff you use to cut a pane of glass?
Let me know when I can take you my tank after you successfully drill yours...... key word: successfully :llama:

That's what I'm doing!! He's doing it Friday. I'll clear my phone off to video him doing it. It's less than twice the price of a bit for two holes, drilled by an experienced veteran! I had to go the way of the Chad.

xmas_one

Is there any way to tell if a back panel is tempered or not?
Yep, look at an LCD screen (cellphone or a laptop) through the glass while wearing polarized sunglasses. Tempered glass makes a "wavy" pattern. Look on utube, there's a bunch of videos showing how to do this.

Riblet

Premium Member
Supporter
Yep, look at an LCD screen (cellphone or a laptop) through the glass while wearing polarized sunglasses. Tempered glass makes a "wavy" pattern. Look on utube, there's a bunch of videos showing how to do this.
Thanks!