Broken bottom glass aquarium pane

So I'm interested in purchasing a nice size tank but it has a broken bottom glass pane just wondering if any one has any experience in replacing broken panes if so any tips would be appreciated. The tank is 72 x 30 x 24 or does any one know if there is any lfs that would do the glass pane replacement that would work too just trying to figure out if it would be worth the cost and hassle

i'd call up chad @ coral gazer and get a quote on that. I have a feeling it's gonna be several hundred bucks though. you can't exactly just throw a bandaid on it.

here's an interesting thought though, the bottom hasn't delaminated from the sides, so if you got a sheet of 1/2" glass that's ~1/4" smaller on all sides, and put in into the bottom of the tank with sealant under it, as well as around it, you've now got 2 layers of glass, and shouldn't break. with sand on it, you wouldn't notice the difference.

however, with 225 gallons, not sure i'd take that risk.

I think for that they will have to pull the whole tank apart and pretty much rebuild you a new tank. I know that people have been directed towards Coral Gazer (sponsor) for tank repairs in the past. They might be able to give you a quote. I don't know how much you are looking to spend but it might be worth it if the tank isn't drilled, they could bottom drill the new sheet...

xmas_one

If it's that one on craigslist, I'd pass. You'll see similar setups that are NOT broken going for almost that same price.

Six2seven

Premium Member
Supporter
I think this is the tank another member on here was asking about. Not worth fixing as it would have to be completely rebuilt. Almost as expensive as a new tank.

I think this is the tank another member on here was asking about. Not worth fixing as it would have to be completely rebuilt. Almost as expensive as a new tank.
If it's that one on craigslist, I'd pass. You'll see similar setups that are NOT broken going for almost that same price.
yup, just wait around and snag a deal like i did with Steve's office tank.. :p

Latest posts