DIY: Room AC UNIT!! EPIC CHEAP!!!!

xmas_one

Seriously it doesn't work. The air coming out is cool, but it's not going to do zip about dropping the temperature of the room.

How cool does the room actually stay.
These past few days would've been a good time to test it out...

Seriously it doesn't work. The air coming out is cool, but it's not going to do zip about dropping the temperature of the room.
Its too cheap not to give it a try :)... I already got everything sitting around to make the ice chest....

summer is gonna suck, but I just need this to work throughout the night and keep my room cool so I don't have to wake up covered in sweat...

xmas_one

Trust me on this one. It won't even work as good as ice melting in the bucket with no fan. The fan actually adds heat to the room. You need to reject heat from the system (the room) in order for it to cool off. How good do you think a window mounted AC would work if you just put it in the middle of the room and turned it on? Even if you could isolate the fan and be 100% efficient (not happening) you're only going to achieve a theoretical maximum of about 200 btu per pound of ice.

Trust me on this one. It won't even work as good as ice melting in the bucket with no fan. The fan actually adds heat to the room. You need to reject heat from the system (the room) in order for it to cool off. How good do you think a window mounted AC would work if you just put it in the middle of the room and turned it on? Even if you could isolate the fan and be 100% efficient (not happening) you're only going to achieve a theoretical maximum of about 200 btu per pound of ice.
200 btu per pound huh?.... 1 gallon is 8 pounds. I can fit 2, 1 gallon jugs in an ice chest. 16 pounds total times 200..... theoretically 3200 BTU?... That should handle a 14x 16 room overnight :)

How good do you think a window mounted AC would work if you just put it in the middle of the room and turned it on?
Lol, that's because there's a condenser inside which is air cooled, hence the need to sit on the outside if the window. There's no condenser on these fans/buckets. There's hardly any heat coming off that fan. I bet if you had a dark room, a couple of these buckets would maintain a cooler temperature then without the buckets.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

mkfmedic

Well, there is only one way to find out. I'd be interested on the rare day here at the beach to give this a try pointing into the interior of my tanks stand? If a fan, this should be better?

I can't imagine it being any better then those old school water/ice fans. Not sure if you all kn ow what I'm talking about but way back when I was a kid (90's) My family had this big fan that we'd fill up with ice and water. Pretty much blow cooler ajr out instead of the hot summer air. Same concept here. I'm sure it would help keep a tank a little cooler but probably 1 degree less then blowing it with a fan..

Arch4ngel

ook so lets add a smal pump some pvc and a sheet of Perforated Plastic "like the alge scrubber setup" and place the frozen bottles of "Ro water" with about 5g of ro water for circulation, basicly a home made swamp cooler. could even add salt water to lower the thermal coefficient.