AI Hydra vs Ai Hydra 52

Been lurking around this site for a while trying to learn as much as I can. My tank has been up and running for a year now. 80 gallon bow front . Going to jump into LED's. Would like the opportunity to grow some different corals. Thinking I will need two LED units for my tank. Are the Hydra 52's worth the extra money compared to the Hydra's? Don't want to kick myself in the butt a year from now wishing I had bought the 52's instead for $400 dollar difference. Any input would be appreciated.

What are the demensions of your tank? For an 80g sounds like you'll need two lights...go with the hydras. Orrrr two kessils!

The 52s are using somewhat more updated led chips at a lower wattage. So there's more leds, but driven lower. They're supposed to consume about the same amount of power. Check the spread of each fixture and check the type of lenses they come with. I can't recommend either because I don't feel there's any truly adequate commercial fixture to purchase, so I'm a little biased. Just check the specs and compare. They both have violets, so that's a good start.

Sent from my Nexus 5 using Tapatalk

BeanMachine

Supporter
My problem with the kessils is that although you can dial the white and blue up and down, if you like a more blue tank you sacrifice par and penetration by having to turn down the white. They are nice lights and a great company don't get me wrong I just couldn't find the color to my liking when I had one. I think I had the Ocean Blue 14K.

Word. Good point bean but I on the other hand, love the color it puts out. The spread I believe on the hydra is 24" and the 52 has a 36" spread. I think you'll have plenty of light with two hydras.

Thanks all. Think I'll go with Hydra's and have $400 to spend on more goodies. Next question, Perpendicular or parallel to tank?

Latest posts