first time making a sump

That's a sweet setup there. This is almost identical to what I did with a 60g under my 120. I lucked out and had enough room to fit it and a top-off container under it (60"W tank). Check out the GoodWill near you for a tank to use as a sump. Picked mine up for less than $20 if I remember right, and another $25-30 for the cut glass and silicone.

+1 on doing it outside!

Here's my setup. I know, its a mess under there....
View attachment 34426
I like your filter sock holder. That's a great idea!!!!!! IKEA here I come.

Terefel

Here's Mine. From left to right I went with (i) Drain/Skimmer, (ii) refugium/heaters, (iii) return pump/probes.

You can see I have a bubble trap set up between the first and second chambers, but it was unnecessary with the Herbie-method drain I set up. Now I just use it to hold filter floss to keep my refugium from turning into a garbage dump as often.

Heres what i did with a 4' sump from left to right
sock , skimmer area then 2 seperate high and lo baffles as reactor holders , return section ,and then ato resevoir

Sock holder i made out of acrilic

The silicone i used

Finished product

Sent from my HTCONE using Tapatalk

I like your filter sock holder. That's a great idea!!!!!! IKEA here I come.
6" PVC from Lowes, cut to 16" (slight angle so if it ever does clog all the way it will spill towards center not edge) and 2" holes drilled into it, and some Krylon Fusion to finish it off. It holds a 7x14" filter sock.

Last edited:
+1

All sumps I build have been with 1/4" baffles, unless it were to be 24" wide in which case I would go to 3/8"
+2
i went with 3/16" from my local glass shop with polished edges as my sumps only 16" deep. The stuff from ace and the depot is way thinner and the edges are sharp it was cheaper from the glass shop too

just something to throw out there.

sump baffles, when the sump is actually filled, are under VERY LITTLE stress, because there's almost an equal amount of pressure being exerted from both sides. it only becomes a problem if the return section runs very low.

so really, even 1/8" would hold, but it would be iffy if the return section was low from lack of ATO

JDEllis

Owner @ Ellis Aquatics
Supporter
just something to throw out there.

sump baffles, when the sump is actually filled, are under VERY LITTLE stress, because there's almost an equal amount of pressure being exerted from both sides. it only becomes a problem if the return section runs very low.

so really, even 1/8" would hold, but it would be iffy if the return section was low from lack of ATO
extremely true but...
reason I always go thicker is because while throwing around and shoving equipment in and out of the sump or putting in live rock etc one slight tap on 1/8" can break it

Heres what i did with a 4' sump from left to right
sock , skimmer area then 2 seperate high and lo baffles as reactor holders , return section ,and then ato resevoir

Sock holder i made out of acrilic

The silicone i used

Finished product

That looks great! Where can you find that silicone locally?

I got it from my lfs up in arroyo grande ca i was told its the same silicone visio uses on there tanks. I oredered my custom 120 long from them with black silicone so wanted to make the sump match .