Sump & fuge design - comments?

djam

I'm designing a DYI sump and fuge for my planned new tank, the two tanks (fuge/sump) are 36*24*24. The fuge is going to be elevated 6" and drain into a slow moving area in the sump (which is split into two halves). Also has an integrated fresh water holding tank for the ATO. I have a number of notes on the slides, mostly to remind myself why I did something. The main tank will be 240 (96x24x24) with peninsula style overflow (8" width) and returns on the far side of the tank. The stand will be a little extra wide (30") to accommodate the wide tanks and give me a small shelf in the back. anyone see any major issues or did I miss anything.

The last picture is from my frag tank to show how the fuge dumps into the sump.

Attachments

JDEllis

Owner @ Ellis Aquatics
Supporter
I'm designing a DYI sump and fuge for my planned new tank, the two tanks (fuge/sump) are 36*24*24. The fuge is going to be elevated 6" and drain into a slow moving area in the sump (which is split into two halves). Also has an integrated fresh water holding tank for the ATO. I have a number of notes on the slides, mostly to remind myself why I did something. The main tank will be 240 (96x24x24) with peninsula style overflow (8" width) and returns on the far side of the tank. The stand will be a little extra wide (30") to accommodate the wide tanks and give me a small shelf in the back. anyone see any major issues or did I miss anything.

The last picture is from my frag tank to show how the fuge dumps into the sump.
you put a lot of thought into this dave, hopefully we have that price Monday and move forward, looks good

question does the drain from fuge go to the sock?

djam

Hey Jayson, yep me too, my wife wants it too.. mostly because I’m making her crazy with my research, something about chores or other non-sense.
No, the drains from the fuge go into the "slow section" of the sump where I will have some more live rock and rubble (no cheato), the reason is I want to maximize the number of copepods that make their way to the return pump and back into the main display. I figure the long run of 36 should allow any bubbles from the fuge to escape before hitting the return pump. One of the core goals is to make this tank a copepod breeding ground. The second drain into the area with the skimmer is just an overflow. I might reduce the size of the flow out of the fuge and put a gate value on it and see if I can turn this into a “bean animal” style overflow with a full siphon.

Been reading a lot about “fast filter” vs. “slow filter” and think that it makes a lot of sense.

I think you should move your fuge to after your skimmer and after filter socks.... Don't want to loose all the pods

Sent from my Nexus 5 using Tapatalk

djam

I think you should move your fuge to after your skimmer and after filter socks.... Don't want to loose all the pods

Sent from my Nexus 5 using Tapatalk

The backside long section is supposed to be the bypass around the skimmer., does that make sense?

planbtypea

The only possible issue/problem that I can see is that it looks like the LR sections water level will depend on the return sections (pic 4) due to the passage being along the bottom.

djam

holy bananas, you are right.... going to have to change this design. Thanks for catching it.

djam

I thought about that, but I think it would create bubbles due to the long fall, I really wanted to keep as much water/live rock in that section as possible, I hate having a 24" tall tank and only having 11" of water in it...plan b is to put a bulkhead up at 19" or so into vented pipe to reduce bubbles, but still going to land up with some. Must be a Sunday thing, because I just can't see a clean solution.

djam

I'm going to blame the education system for not properly preparing me to do custom sump design...

planbtypea

What about going with your bulkhead design and adding a 90 and up-pipe from the bottom? Make the up-pipe the same height as the level you wish in the LR area, physics should keep the water level in the pipe same as the LR area. I would drill or slot it near the top 1/4 of pipe so the outflow would come at various heights and not splash out from the top of the pipe full force and adjust the outflow. Maybe 2 setups like this? Sounds like it would work, but not 100% sure....

Sump help 1.jpg
MS Paint and a touch screen is a little harder than it looks...

djam

Thanks Dan. Here is what I'm thinking, I'm thinking of turning this into a bean animal type drain, with a siphon and overflow so my little copepods can make it over to the pump and it won't make much noise. I'll just drill two bulkheads at the 17" mark or so and if it overflows it will hit the 19" and flow over to the skimmer part of the sump before going over the outside edge. I use powerpoint for my drawings... sadly easier. I used to know autocad cold years ago... i should not have let that skill perish.