New guy in la mirada area

I'll have to talk my wife into re scaping the rock. I'm not sure what you mean by "new" growth with coral as I'm not putting any in. How do you suggest I should do the mortar/putty with the rocks?
well, if it was a reef tank, you'd want your rocks to be lower in the tank to allow room for growth, otherwise you'd be growing out of the tank sooner or later.

since it's FOWLR though, what you have, is how it will remain, so it'd be a good idea to build it up higher, and have more volume.

there's some cool ideas and tips here.

here's a pic of mine. they're not connected, though I SHOULD have connected them. you can stack the rocks pretty high as long as you build a decent foundation at the bottom and taper as you work on up.

well, if it was a reef tank, you'd want your rocks to be lower in the tank to allow room for growth, otherwise you'd be growing out of the tank sooner or later.

since it's FOWLR though, what you have, is how it will remain, so it'd be a good idea to build it up higher, and have more volume.

there's some cool ideas and tips here.

here's a pic of mine. they're not connected, though I SHOULD have connected them. you can stack the rocks pretty high as long as you build a decent foundation at the bottom and taper as you work on up.

All my big rock is at the bottom to give it a stable base. We even wiggled them into the sand bed and stacked the smaller rocks on top but tried to fit them nice and snug sort of like a puzzle so they would rock back and forth and hopefully not fall. You tank looks awesome! I will definitely read the link you posted when I'm done with my house chores haha. So what you saying is that I should creat some sort of "islands" with my rock, So the fish can swim freely around them? I've been trying to find more flat pieces of rock so I can create more caves and passages. Would I be able to do the putty stuff on the rock while the tank is running? Or do I have to pull it all out to putty them together?

The wife really wants to do a reef tank so later I will most likely get her a nano tank so she can keep her nemo and six line wrasse. Robert aka Adrock can speak up here on how she wants a reef tank haha.

well, reef putty will cure under water fine, but it's expensive when you start using a bunch of it.

I would do stacking at the bottom where you have more wiggle room to lodge them, and then use the putty near the top where the pieces may be more precariously perched.

i have a love / hate relationship with my scaping.

it has a great "natural" feel to it, and the fishes love it, but most of the time I can't see my **** fishes. I haven't seen the watchman goby in a few weeks because his favorite hole is completely hidden from all sides. The solon wrasse has taken to liking that area too.

Here is a little update on my system! Everything has been looking real good and my 3 fish have been swimming around amazing! I just added the fox face today and between him and my yellow tang they ate a nice chunk of seaweed with garlic today! Let me know how they look to you. At this time I am also setting up a nano in my home office.

https://vimeo.com/103486796