lighting, frag tank, and frag rack heights

egg crate heights

• single egg crate height throughout

Votes: 2 25.0%
  • different heights for SPS and LPS

Votes: 6 75.0%

• Total voters
people with frag tanks, do you bother establishing different rack heights within the frag tank?

I have 2 levels inside my frag tank, with the original idea of having higher rack for SPS, and lower rack for LPS.

but given the relatively shallow frag tank, and a difference of only ~5" height, i'm really wondering if it's doing anything at all.

what do you guys think?

JDEllis

Owner @ Ellis Aquatics
Supporter
We have 4 steps in our tanks, and I do notice longer extension lower in the tank as if they are stretching for light....in addition gives me tons of space under the rack to store the uglier, damaged, recovering type of corals when I am all stocked up

Zoarder

2020 Philanthropist
Supporter
2020 POTM
We have 4 steps in our tanks, and I do notice longer extension lower in the tank as if they are stretching for light....in addition gives me tons of space under the rack to store the uglier, damaged, recovering type of corals when I am all stocked up
Your tank is tall tho, his tank is like 12" like most do...

Zoarder

2020 Philanthropist
Supporter
2020 POTM
yup. i'm wondering with my shallow frag tank, if i'm better off with just one level
Well I don't use egg crate, I bought all acrylic frag racks and some are taller and some I can clip on the sides if I need certain corals higher. But I only do softies tho.

JDEllis

Owner @ Ellis Aquatics
Supporter
Personal opinion is it wont make a MASSIVE difference but a slight difference yes...either way I have corals here with your name on it LOL

lowbudget

Premium Member
Supporter
if your frag tank is that shallow forget the multiple level egg crate. one recommendation to you is dont make 1 large piece of eggcrate. make like 3-4 section so when you have to remove it for cleaning hair alage it will be easier. also lower light coral can be placed on the edge and sides. tada.

if your frag tank is that shallow forget the multiple level egg crate. one recommendation to you is dont make 1 large piece of eggcrate. make like 3-4 section so when you have to remove it for cleaning hair alage it will be easier. also lower light coral can be placed on the edge and sides. tada.
all those people who said you were good for nothing were totally wrong!..

:lol:

JDEllis

Owner @ Ellis Aquatics
Supporter
+++1

I have several pieces which fit together to make my pyramid for this reason but luckily 800-1000 snails, 15-20 hermits, 10 emerals, few stars, 2-3 tangs and a lawnmower in each tank keep them spotless from algae

Zoarder

2020 Philanthropist
Supporter
2020 POTM
+++1

I have several pieces which fit together to make my pyramid for this reason but luckily 800-1000 snails, 15-20 hermits, 10 emerals, few stars, 2-3 tangs and a lawnmower in each tank keep them spotless from algae
Because you are a baller! I should start selling CUC too lol

Zoarder

2020 Philanthropist
Supporter
2020 POTM
For sure, 7-10 cents a piece profit, I am on my way to Beverly Hills and early retirement in no time, my next venture I think will be selling empty shells somehow LOL
around $80+/- profit woohoo! lol I really need some tho, I haven't even cleaned my acrylic tank I don't wanna scratch it :(

lowbudget

Premium Member
Supporter
you must be selling them dirty cheap to only make 7-10 cent profit. if thats the case, pm me price on some snails.
For sure, 7-10 cents a piece profit, I am on my way to Beverly Hills and early retirement in no time, my next venture I think will be selling empty shells somehow LOL