SCMAS Meeting Friday July 18th (Guest Speaker: Lighting Expert Sanjay Joshi)

He did say that most of the fixtures with the multicolors aren't needed. That the white LEDs in the fixtures have enough of the full spectrum to get the job done.
Sanjay did wish ecotech would make the fixtures with warn white instead of cool white.
DIY guys have been preaching this since the full spectrum fad hit. Go read a couple DIY builds from nano reef, and warm white is all those guys use. That's why on my led fixture I used blue/royal blue/warm white/420nm violet. According to the DIY nerds, that's all you need. They say the red/green/cyan/orange/yellow/etc is all a waste.

Did he discuss how well the digferent light spectrums between colors affect coloration and growth.
How well white blue and royals compare with fixtures with a full range colors?

Reason I ask is I'm debating on whether or not to upgrade my sol blues to the regular hydra.
I think u would see an improvement over the regular Sols. They are missing the uv/violet spectrum, and I believe that is pretty important.

Yes he did say that warm whites would have reduced the need for the other colors. HE said cool whites have a very poor spectrum as the are primarily blue.

He also stated that running the red and greens at 100% still provides less of those colors to the spectrum of a LED than an Metal Halide. He felt hobbyists overstated the red LED's are dangerous argument. He overlapped the MH and LED spectrum and the green and red spectrums of the MH were at least double that of the LED.

Did he discuss how well the digferent light spectrums between colors affect coloration and growth.
How well white blue and royals compare with fixtures with a full range colors?

Reason I ask is I'm debating on whether or not to upgrade my sol blues to the regular hydra.
Is it possible to upgrade the Sol to the hydra 52?

Is it possible to upgrade the Sol to the hydra 52?
Yes AI has released the hydra 52 upgrade. It basically replaces everything but the heatsink i believe includingnthe power supply. Only probably I have is the cost. $300 per fixture to upgrade, (which is less than buying them outright I admit) I would have to do 3 so we're talking about a grand. I could buy a brand new t5 fixture for that. Also ive read reviews about the hydra 52 making a whining noise. I dont know if thats been resolved yet or not.
Im still on the fence right now about what I want to do. My sol blues are working but im not really seeing much sps growth with the exception of the birdsnest, (grows like a weed), all the sps and palys grow like weeds also.

420 is actinic. Low UV 410 is risky, <400nm will fry coral. MH DE needs a UV shield or you better put SPF 5000 on your coral, mogul MH comes with its shield

Ill take 80% growth and 80% color just for not having to change bulbs.

Of course you get more colors with T5- you have more bulbs. Shine a rainbow of lights at something and see a rainbow reflection. It doesnt mean the coral pigments (not just zooxanthellae but protective pigments) need that frequency- thats the aesthetic part of lighting.

LED are not nearly as polychromatic & tend to spotlight. White light should have all the visible spectrum and biology tells us which frequency of photon hammers zooxanthellae need to photosynthesize sugar- thats energy for growth.

420 is actinic. Low UV 410 is risky, <400nm will fry coral. MH DE needs a UV shield or you better put SPF 5000 on your coral, mogul MH comes with its shield

Ill take 80% growth and 80% color just for not having to change bulbs.

Of course you get more colors with T5- you have more bulbs. Shine a rainbow of lights at something and see a rainbow reflection. It doesnt mean the coral pigments (not just zooxanthellae but protective pigments) need that frequency- thats the aesthetic part of lighting.

LED are not nearly as polychromatic & tend to spotlight. White light should have all the visible spectrum and biology tells us which frequency of photon hammers zooxanthellae need to photosynthesize sugar- thats energy for growth.
Great points RayRay! you beat me to it!

Yes AI has released the hydra 52 upgrade. It basically replaces everything but the heatsink i believe includingnthe power supply. Only probably I have is the cost. $300 per fixture to upgrade, (which is less than buying them outright I admit) I would have to do 3 so we're talking about a grand. I could buy a brand new t5 fixture for that. Also ive read reviews about the hydra 52 making a whining noise. I dont know if thats been resolved yet or not.
Im still on the fence right now about what I want to do. My sol blues are working but im not really seeing much sps growth with the exception of the birdsnest, (grows like a weed), all the sps and palys grow like weeds also.
Personally I am not a fan of upgrading to something other than the best model available. If the Hydra 52 is too much light, you can always turn them down. In the end, resale value is much more.

Latest posts