Ideas for a pulley system/light rack

GoBigGuy

Hi All,

Still planning the new build and thought it would be nice to have a light rack on a pulley system not only to adjust the height of my lights but also to pull them out of them way when I want to work on the tank.

Found this pulley system on Amazon: http://www.amazon.com/dp/B00006JBL3...lid=3MW4C3R5OK75M&coliid=I3ARVHAV6WM9XR&psc=1

If I mount it to the top of my canopy and have it pulled up completely I should have a littl emore than 19" from the lights to the top of the tank.
Is that enough room to work you think?

lightrack.jpg

would be easy enough to put together, but the devil will be in the details. the bike rack pulley isn't exactly "precision built" (i have 2). they work, but the pulleys are rickety.

if i were to build something like this, i would first make sure that I have a rail system in place to guide the light housing up and down - i would NOT depend on the pulley to keep it in line and looking pretty.

i would then have to figure out something to screen the upper portion. the pulleys aren't exactly presentation material. maybe some fabric that can easily scrunch up when the hood is raised.

it's a nice idea, but i think once you get into the nuts and bolts of it, it'll be easier just to make a flip light.

If you can mount the pulleys in the attic and have 2 small hole with bushings in the ceiling that would be clean. You could also run the cables through the pulleys to a small electric winch wired to a switch. Raise and lower at the push of a button.
I would make my own system from parts available at like lowes or homedepot. You can get nice pulleys and have cable cut to whatever lenght you need. And all the ferrels etc. Are also readily available.
It'll take some work to make it raise and lower level and be positioned directly above the tank but it would work.
19" of clearance should be ok for most maintenance chores.

If you can mount the pulleys in the attic and have 2 small hole with bushings in the ceiling that would be clean. You could also run the cables through the pulleys to a small electric winch wired to a switch. Raise and lower at the push of a button.
I would make my own system from parts available at like lowes or homedepot. You can get nice pulleys and have cable cut to whatever lenght you need. And all the ferrels etc. Are also readily available.
It'll take some work to make it raise and lower level and be positioned directly above the tank but it would work.
19" of clearance should be ok for most maintenance chores.
This is something I am thinking of doing. But I am not great with knowing What to do or what to use.

Its really not hard... model railroad hobbists have done it for years in their garages etc. To raise and lower the railroad board out of the way.
You basically run cables from the light up to pulleys mounted to the ceiling joists. From there they will attach to a single line which runs to another pulley mounted directly above a hand crank or winch. The hardest part is making the cables the correct length so that the thing be raised/lowered does so evenly and so that the spot where the 2 or more cable's join and become one doesnt hit and bind up in any of the pulleys.
The number of cables needed depends on the size of whatever is being lifted.
The cable is usually like 3/16" think and however long you need. All the lines can be attached by making a loop at one end and crimping on a ferrel, depending on the weight, for a light fixture this method is plenty strong.
Also the more cables you need the more pulleys youll need.
The only thing thatnmight be hard to find is an electric winch thats really small and runs off 120V AC bit you couldnuse a 12v atv winch and an invertor of some kind. Than just wire the controller to a rocker switch on the wall next to tank.
Ill draw up a quick sketch and post it in a bit for visual reference.

Quick diagram to give you an idea...

Of.course this is just a rough diagram.
The number of pulleys, cables etc. Is realitive tonthe weight of object, location of ceiling joists etc. The nice thing is no matter where the joist, tank etc are, or the weight, (with in reason) you can make it move up and down perfectly level with enough pulleys.
Hell I can lift a fully loaded tractor trailer off the ground by hand with enough pulleys and rope.
I think the nost difficult thing is going to be making sure the cables from the fixture to the first pulley are perfectly plumb.

You know I just ahd an idea.
If the little pulleys for curtains are strong enough, or if you could find some that are small but could handle the weight of say a fully loaded floating hood and a small enough winch, you could mount 2 pulleys on the hood along with the winch and mount 2 more pulleys on the ceiling and run the cable from the hood to the ceiling and back down through the pulleys on the hood and to the winch.
That way everything would be right there and you wouldnt have to climb up in a 120 degree attic and run cable and electric.
Also if you routed the cable right you could effectively double the load rating of the winch.
Hmmm I might have to draw something up for this. Could be pretty cool

Spinner

Supporter
Last edited: