Painting the inside of a sump

Hey, I have a sump that is going to be divided in two halves, can you use krylon to paint the inside to keep light from leaking into areas where I don't want algae to grow?

tony3199

Yeah, I've done it. Krylon Fusion from ace hardware and let it cure. Then run some water in it for a few days, then empty it. You want to cure it without water for a few days first, then let try to pull out as much nutrients you can aftwards with some saltwater. Then rinse out with some RO/DI water and you're good to go. I paint alot of things, even my diy over flows and follow these steps and nothing bad ever happens.

Spinner

Supporter
Just keep in mind when using Krylon Fusion never paint an area or items you will be scraping or scrubbing.

Hey, I have a sump that is going to be divided in two halves, can you use krylon to paint the inside to keep light from leaking into areas where I don't want algae to grow?
My old sump had a fuge and after a while all the walls were coraline... so call it natural Krylon.

tony3199

thats the thing with coraline. I was hopping and wishing for it to grow for like 3 months straight. But now that its rolling along, it wont stop growing!!!! =(

Paint the inside of the fuge panel. I painted the side that water cascades down/out and it started to peal off after a few months, even though I let it cure for a few days before getting it wet.

thats the thing with coraline. I was hopping and wishing for it to grow for like 3 months straight. But now that its rolling along, it wont stop growing!!!! =(
my urchins keep the coraline relatively under control - though it doesn't seem to do much for Cody.

Got it...in my case only one panel on the back wall needs paint. I just need to decide which side to paint
Sent from my RM-940_nam_att_200 using Tapatalk

Spinner

Supporter
Paint the outside if you have that option and make sure its clean not just wiped off. Most everything we used in our hobby to build our systems with has an oil film on it, if you clean the surface before painting it will hold up much better. I use WD40 to remove words and labels/glue or/and Vinegar for dirt/stains then wash with HOT water/mid soap....dry.....feel the difference:)

djam

I'm going to paint my new sump tomorrow, any thought on why I shouldn't paint it black? (this is to prevent light from getting from the fuge into the sump or other parts

djam

That tank is divided into two parts, the fuge (60g) and the FW reservoir (yeah, I didn't think that part thru as much as I should have). I'm concerned it will build up algae. I was going to paint the reservior side of the shared glass wall. Any other ideas?

Latest posts