the LED's! wowwww

Tom619

update 4/23/09: this is by far, the strongest LED in the market i've used from my experiments (link below). i would dare to say stronger then Current Powerbrite. it reaches the bottom of of my 30g tank without losing brightness.
i tried 1 and it blue me away. get it? hahaha, sorry lame joke. anyways, i asked the seller for a groupbuy and he knocked down the price to $11.50 each for 20+. someone should do a groupbuy, not me! i just got my first career job so now i can barely keep up the tank.

http://cgi.ebay.com/BLUE-Household-...photoQQcmdZViewItemQQ_trksidZp1742.m153.l1262
if link doenst work, type in search: 350058396875

power usage
: 3w
life of bulb: 10 years
made in Minnesota, USA. NOT HongKong!

some bulb specify that you can't use it with a dimmer or not suggested, so just be careful. i'm not sure the science behind it, but im just throwing out what was written on the box.

be careful with shipped-from-China cheap imitations. i've used both and noticed a big difference in quality and brightness... not to mention lead poisoning.
yeah, you cant go wrong with the new bulbs (made in USA) that i recommended today. it looks really solid and unbreakable. i also bought an exact imitation from china to check it out. the difference was night and day.

old post:

Ed! remember when you came over with your PowerBrites and said you're looking for cheaper alternatives..? and how i told you i bought some of these on ebay to test them out...
well they came today and i plugged them in..

OMGGGGG... it was blinding me! comparable to the PowerBrite you brought over, if not stronger. it makes EVERYTHING pop, even with the strong MH light on.
this specific one is 24 led, but i also bought 18's to try, which should come in a couple days.

definitely a cheaper alternative.
ED! you GOTTA see this in person!

power use: 2w
cost: $9
socket: medium; regular household
life: 100,000 hours. (10 years)

PowerBrite: $59

WARNING WARNING!
this light is wayy too strong to be used as a moonlight; the fish and corals will not get a chance to rest.
but definitely could be used as an actinic supplement in the daytime.:lol:

just use a 99cent socket with extension cord or something.

+ this. $1

Last edited:

EyeReef

Admin
admin
Supporter
My Tank Build
Are these used for just visual enhancements or will the corals benefit somehow?

Tom619

new LED bulb recommended. it's by far the strongest one and my new favorite from my experiment. it's made in USA and the quality looks rock solid. my updated review above.

Looks great if I can replace my actinics with these. My three actinics burns 275 watts. Even if I get 10 of these it will use only 30 watts.

How did the 24-LED bulb compare to the single 3 watt LED bulb from the above pictures?

Tom619

The single 3w LED beats the 24-LED by a mile. no competition
the multiple-LEDs are great for smaller/closer set-ups, but if you need something to penetrate your deep tank, use the single, stronger LED.

to all: I think LED designs are endless and forever-improving at this rate. hopefully i helped to open our eyes for opportunities. let us know what you can find!

I just bought 2 of them, havent hooked them up yet. Advertised as $6.99 each plus 8.99 shipping. Will have a review up soon.

Ok so I bought 2 of these lights off ebay, paid $6.99 each and inquired about the combined shipping. The reply was $8.99 shipping each! So I went ahead and ordered them as I really wanted to try them. They arrived 3-4 days later in the same envelope with $2.07 postage, a $15 difference!

So I emailed them back with a request for a refund on the postage, their reply was send both lights back and they will refund in full thus avoiding my question about their exaggerated postage amount.

Now onto the lights, I put two of them over my 50gal, 36x18x18 and they do almost nothing. My 250w Aquamaxx overpowers both so much that it makes almost no difference, I will try a few different angles and will report back if I find something better. For now I think they are just a huge rip off and a dodgy company.

Ok so I bought 2 of these lights off ebay, paid $6.99 each and inquired about the combined shipping. The reply was $8.99 shipping each! So I went ahead and ordered them as I really wanted to try them. They arrived 3-4 days later in the same envelope with $2.07 postage, a $15 difference!

So I emailed them back with a request for a refund on the postage, their reply was send both lights back and they will refund in full thus avoiding my question about their exaggerated postage amount.

Now onto the lights, I put two of them over my 50gal, 36x18x18 and they do almost nothing. My 250w Aquamaxx overpowers both so much that it makes almost no difference, I will try a few different angles and will report back if I find something better. For now I think they are just a huge rip off and a dodgy company.
How does your LED lights look at night when youre 250w is off?

Alot of Ebay sellers jack up their shipping because Ebay doesn't count againt the selling value fee on shipping the seller has to pay to ebay.

I tried a couple different multi bulb versions about two years ago and they wouldn't even light up a nano just for looks and not growth.

Ebay... with eBay's star rating for sellers if their rating on any one star falls below a certain level eBay will restrict the sellers account.

The LED lights are way to bright for a moonlight, the fish wouldn't get a chance to rest, hehe. I could use them for sunrise, sunset but I do not think that 2 would not be enough over my system to use as a supplement which is unfortunate....

I still think that the shipping was way over priced, I mean I could have bought another two lights for the price with change to spare. How can you charge individual shipping on each lamp and then send them together... Anyway I just am not happy about the over priced product that does little to impress.

Kbra

I think this thread is a bunch of bull and needs to get pulled. Hes obviously just on here to promote his product which obviously sucks too :thumpdown::spam::spam::thumpdown::reddy:

Tom619

see for yourselves..
http://www.sdreefs.com/forums/showthread.php?t=50856&page=6
a lot of hits down here

...just wanted to share the info..
has nothing to do with "my" own products.

the only thing i have available to sell are the filter socks. i work full-time so i dont need the extra cash; in fact it's even a pita to make em at these prices, but since i use em for myself, might as well make them available to others.

Last edited:

dallast

can we see some shots of the tanks with these new lights on them? very curious to see the total brightness.

Latest posts