How much food?

Not sure how much food I should be feeding. I have read from 3 times a day to every three days. Tank has been up for almost a year now. Currently feeding a small pinch of pellets in the morning, then half a cube of mysis or brine in the afternoon. 2 times a week veggie clip some algae. No big algae problems, little Cyano once in awhile. Making sure I'm not under feeding or over feeding. Food seems to be all eaten in couple of minutes.
80 gallon bowfront
20 gallon sump with magnus skimmer
80 lbs live rock

2 O. clowns
1 kole tang
1 starry blenny
2 firefish
2 skunk cleaners
10 assorted hermits plus snails
Thanks for any input

Feed enough so that within a few minutes all the food is consumed. Any more and it will float to the bottom and cause issues over time. Its much harder to underfeed than it is to overfeed.

Number8

I personally feed a TON of food because I've got a great skimmer, gfo, and regular water change schedule. Fat fish are healthy fish my friend :)

Six2seven

Premium Member
Supporter
I feel pellets in the morning and 2 cubes of frozen when I get home from work. I alternate the frozen foods daily. I also replace the nori as often as I can.

BeanMachine

Supporter
Not sure how much food I should be feeding. I have read from 3 times a day to every three days. Tank has been up for almost a year now. Currently feeding a small pinch of pellets in the morning, then half a cube of mysis or brine in the afternoon. 2 times a week veggie clip some algae. No big algae problems, little Cyano once in awhile. Making sure I'm not under feeding or over feeding. Food seems to be all eaten in couple of minutes.
80 gallon bowfront
20 gallon sump with magnus skimmer
80 lbs live rock

2 O. clowns
1 kole tang
1 starry blenny
2 firefish
2 skunk cleaners
10 assorted hermits plus snails
Thanks for any input
Sounds about right to me... you don't have many fish in your tank considering its 80 gallons. And no big fish.

I alternate 1 and 2 cubes per day... I have 13 fish... mostly small to medium. I'll add in flake and pellets here and there but not every day.

My Tank Build
At our meeting yesterday this topic came up. Ron stated that a salt water fish only needs to eat amount of food that is the same size as it's eyeball every other day to survive. He said that over feeding leads to problem like algae, aggression and unhealthy fish. He said that a fat fish is more likely to be more aggressive because a hungry fish is going to be looking for food where a fat fish isn't as hungry and is going to spend its time chasing fish. Also over feeding leading to algae blooms like cyano, gha, diatoms, ext.
I'm going to start feeding my tank less to see if my sohal will calm down a little.

At our meeting yesterday this topic came up. Ron stated that a salt water fish only needs to eat amount of food that is the same size as it's eyeball every other day to survive. He said that over feeding leads to problem like algae, aggression and unhealthy fish. He said that a fat fish is more likely to be more aggressive because a hungry fish is going to be looking for food where a fat fish isn't as hungry and is going to spend its time chasing fish. Also over feeding leading to algae blooms like cyano, gha, diatoms, ext.
I'm going to start feeding my tank less to see if my sohal will calm down a little.
Yes sir it was a great way of explaining it too!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Wow .. No kidding?! My fish are pigs!! If I didn't feed them triple that , they would jump out the tank and take an ear off my kids ..and maybe a nose ! Lol