60g SUMP DESIGN CONCERNS

Titanwerx

Premium Member
Supporter
So I picked up this sump from a fellow reefer for the size and the fuge. I am about to start planning the removal of current sump and install of this one but I am a little concerned about Possibly getting micro-bubbles as I dont think the one baffle will remove them, Also wont the cascade from the fuge create more bubbles that will in turn just be sucked up into the display tank?

Heres a few pics of the sump:
IMG_0787.jpg IMG_0788.jpg

Here's a photo-chop'd one of what I was considering doing by adding baffles to remove the bubbles...
SUMP.DESIGN.001.jpg

Thoughts and suggestions appreciated.

20140507_183048.jpg

That is similar to my DIY sump/fuge. It took some time to figure the water depth in the return section and flow through the fuge to not get bubbles in the return section, but can be done. I also have a 90* angled almost straight down off my return and that seemed to help too.

If you are going to add panels to it, I would add one to make the skimmer section the perfect depth for your skimmer.

I think it will be fine. Just really depends on the flow I think. If the flow into the refugium is slow Im sure the water will trickle down the wall and any bubbles will stay on the surface if any.

And for the main part of sump you can turn the skimmer output away from the baffle if its letting out a lot of bubbles.

But if you worried about it. Adding more baffles would be fine too

Titanwerx

Premium Member
Supporter
Ok, I think I'm just going to have to connect it, run it and see how it goes. If I get a lot I'll switch it back until I can install the baffles. Thanks guys

Titanwerx

Premium Member
Supporter
Finally got the sump in and running! The fuge is not ready yet so I havent filled that section just wanted to see if there were any bubbles and so far I dont see any.
IMG_0821.jpg

Just need some sand and Macro for the FUGE...(hoping someone on here can help with that) and to finish hooking up the sterilizer, auto-top off and other equipment.

Last edited: