Anybody dip live rock before adding to tank?

Wondered about this a while.. Is it safe to dip LR to remove any hitchhikers, and will it kill the good bacteria we want to have on it?
Thanks for any input :)

Thanks.. but I want to keep it live to go into new setup.. so just looking to remove any hitchikers , bugs etc( no aips luckily)

I wouldn't dip or leave live rock out side , when live rock dries out all that was alive dies then you put in your tank all the dead leaches out and can or may cause problems with the cycle and or break the cycle. this doesn't always happen but I would say more time than not you will do more damage than good. what you can do is set up a bin and put salt water in it and let it run for a few days and observe if there are pests u will see some and some you wont but you will be able to see and figure out a game plan . it also depends what you are looking for or trying to prevent . A LFS should cure and check the rock before it goes out for sale so that it Is safe for the customer. Here @ C.0.C. we cure before we sell and we inspect the rock . We cant catch it all but at least this service helps protect our customers time heart and investment

reefes pieces

Premium Member
Supporter
+1 to what the C.O.C. watcher just said! haha Give it a good rinsing in saltwater and keep it binned. Also, rock is very permeable so I wouldn't want to chance having dip solution leach out into the tank slowly over time. Many dips like lugos use iodine which in controlled doses help corals but can easily be overdosed. Some treatments that I think wouldn't hurt would be something like flatworm exit as it's specific to that pest and wouldn't cause bacteria or good invert die off. But shouldn't be necessary unless you have reason to believe there may be a chance of em living on the rock.

Latest posts