Peppermints are the bomb

Got 3 from Coral Gazers Friday for the few aiptasias that popped up between zoas... maybe 5 or so max... well as of Saturday they were all gone. Excellent.

Can I buy them when they are done? :) lol
I wouldn't have a way of trapping or catching them. Don't even know where they hide during the day hehe

They are done tho I didn't have many but they were irritating zoa colonies. Took one night.

Zoarder

2020 Philanthropist
Supporter
2020 POTM
Might be leopard or yellow canary wrasse food tho ... circle of life.
They wont eat them I got some large canary and leopards and they are still there, just be careful once the aiptasia is gone they tend to acquire taste for coral lol

My opinion of course, but I think they go after dying corals, ones on their way out , melting, etc. So they basically help clean the plate. So I partly agree.

My opinion of course, but I think they go after dying corals, ones on their way out , melting, etc. So they basically help clean the plate. So I partly agree.
I see where you are coming from but my zoas were completely healthy to the human eye (fully open and multiplying). It all depends on the shrimp and their taste for food is my guess, hence not all eat aptasia! No one can truly sit back and say that peppermint shrimp eat aptasia or do not eat coral, imo. I am glad to hear that they solved your issue, aptasia can be a pain in the butt if left unchecked right away!

Speaker73

Premium Member
Supporter
My peppermint shrimp literally rushed for any elegance coral that is placed in the tank. Little bugger already killed two before he got bold and went for one during the day in front me...

I would have to respectfully disagree. I've had great success with them, but in 2 tanks; I have had evil evil peppermints, and NO they weren't camel shrimp.

I bought a few of them for some aiptasia in my old 50g breeder, and literally the second I dropped them in; one of them went straight to my acans and started ripping then to shreds. It was horrible and I can assure you that my acans were very healthy, and another time, on a completely different tank; it was pretty much the same situation; I bought a few peps, but after dropping then in; one went straight to my rbta and ripped it in half right in front of me.

I have heard rumors that it seems to be the wild caught peppermints that are so ruthless, and that the tank raised peppermints are raised on eating nothing but Aiptasia, but it's all a big risk IMO.

I would have to respectfully disagree. I've had great success with them, but in 2 tanks; I have had evil evil peppermints, and NO they weren't camel shrimp.

I bought a few of them for some aiptasia in my old 50g breeder, and literally the second I dropped them in; one of them went straight to my acans and started ripping then to shreds. It was horrible and I can assure you that my acans were very healthy, and another time, on a completely different tank; it was pretty much the same situation; I bought a few peps, but after dropping then in; one went straight to my rbta and ripped it in half right in front of me.

I have heard rumors that it seems to be the wild caught peppermints that are so ruthless, and that the tank raised peppermints are raised on eating nothing but Aiptasia, but it's all a big risk IMO.
Its all good and I respect your different perspective and opinion. This is what this forum is all about. Good thing I don't keep acans or RBTAs hehe but I have lots of zoas. I've even removed colonies and put them in containers with peppermints in my sump and they don't eat the zoas, but the aips in between. Then I put the colony back in the tank. I actually could have done that but I've been trying to keep my hands out of the tank lately.

Sooooo, how do I trap them in a big tank? That would be very challenging to say the least.

Its all good and I respect your different perspective and opinion. This is what this forum is all about. Good thing I don't keep acans or RBTAs hehe but I have lots of zoas. I've even removed colonies and put them in containers with peppermints in my sump and they don't eat the zoas, but the aips in between. Then I put the colony back in the tank. I actually could have done that but I've been trying to keep my hands out of the tank lately.

Sooooo, how do I trap them in a big tank? That would be very challenging to say the least.

Yeah all my zoas and palys were untouched, but I trapped mine a fish trap and silversides/mysis

Bottle trap on the sand bed. I've caught my peppermint that way.
+1!

Cut the neck of a water bottle off, flip the neck over and put it back in the bottle. Add a piece of krill in the bottle and they go in (usually at night) but cannot get out. Its a waiting game but i caught 4 shrimp in one day with this. Good Luck!