Yet again, another idea.

Well, it's now 1:00 in the morning, and after sitting around looking at my tank, i just realized, sense im getting the new acrylic 20 gallon display tank tomorrow, im going to have this basic 20 gallon glass tank sitting around(the old display tank), then i thought some more (knew i should of fell asleep sooner!) Well, would there be a way to have the 20 gallon off to the side(on the floor) and a way to plumb it in with the refugium, giving me more area for the fuge chamber and being able to set the protein skimmer inside of the other 20 gallon "sump" with LR rubble? Basically, heres a picture of what i would like to make work...if possible... The 20 gallon basic and 10 gallon fuge are NOT drilled and don't plan on it, so would there be a way of making all this work?

EyeReef

Admin
admin
Supporter
My Tank Build
The best way to do it is set your fuge a little higher then your sump. You can tee the drainage so that some flow goes to your fuge and the rest to the sump. This does require a hole drilled in the fuge. From that hole, water will flow into the sump. This is the ideal way of plumbing it, but since you dont want to drill any holes, I don't see any other way..

Maybe others can advise

R

reefer714

The best way to do it is set your fuge a little higher then your sump. You can tee the drainage so that some flow goes to your fuge and the rest to the sump. This does require a hole drilled in the fuge. From that hole, water will flow into the sump. This is the ideal way of plumbing it, but since you dont want to drill any holes, I don't see any other way..

Maybe others can advise
totally agree with Mikee. I would use the 20g as a fuge alone. JMO remember the bigger the fuge, the more benefit to your tank and animals. that is why my fuge is bigger than the display tank :D:D

R

reefer714

Refugium can be another hobby of it own :D. You can set it up next to your tank as a part of decoration. After your fuge become matured, you'll be lots of creatures moving inside the fuge look very exciting.

Im sure that's what i'll end up doing down the road, for now i think im going to stick to the 10 under then tank just to get things running.

Also, what kelvin bulb should i be looking at getting, and how many watts? Does Home Depot or Lowes Sell them? Thanks!

R

reefer714

Home depot or lowes has it. It is the flood light. Kevin (reefmeister2) has couple of them for sale for $20 but i believe you can get it cheaper at home depot. It came with the 65k bulb.

How big is your display tank?

Look at my tiny fuge. The light im using is what you need

Attachments

Home depot or lowes has it. It is the flood light. Kevin (reefmeister2) has couple of them for sale for $20 but i believe you can get it cheaper at home depot. It came with the 65k bulb.

How big is your display tank?

Look at my tiny fuge. The light im using is what you need
The display tank is a 20 gallon, with a DE HQI metal halide 14000k bulb.

The 65k bulb for the fuge you mean 6500 correct?

Also i heard you are supposed to run the fuge lights reverse from your display tanks, is this true? So basically i'd run the fuge bulb only at night? If this isn't true, how long do i run the fuge bulb a day? Thanks!

R

reefer714

The reason for reverse lighting is to prevent the pH from fluctuate. I run my fuge from 9pm to 12pm. I always have some source of light in my tank 24hrs a day.

Yes it is 6500k. The lower the kelvin the closer it is to natural sunlight the more eyesore :). But Macro algea love it

The reason for reverse lighting is to prevent the pH from fluctuate. I run my fuge from 9pm to 12pm. I always have some source of light in my tank 24hrs a day.

Yes it is 6500k. The lower the kelvin the closer it is to natural sunlight the more eyesore :). But Macro algea love it
Alright, well the timer thats on my Main Display tank is running the halide from 11:00 am to 7:00 pm, should i let the fuge light then run from 7:00 pm to 10:00 pm, or longer?

Wait a minute, i just measured the hole that i need a bulkhead for, and it measures across 1 1/2", why would the guy at my LFS tell me i needed a 3/4" bulkhead? :confused:

wimpydailo

well when they tell you that you need a 3/4" bh, its actually the measurement of the inside of the bh. so i a 3/4" bh will need a 1 1/2" hole for it to fit into with the threads and all.

Attachments