What's the Longest You've Kept a Blue Spotted Jawfish For?

I've tried my luck with two Blue Spotted Jawfish. One passed away about a month later, and the second one lasted over 7 months until it succumbed to disease. I think part of the problem with my second jawfish was that his burrow collapsed and he stressed out till it died. After his permanent burrow, he never found one where he stayed long.

I know these species also come from cooler waters, so that could be part of the problem. If I setup this potential nano, I would be willing to dedicate the tank to this species.

So what's been your experience with these sometimes hard to keep fish? Any tips? I miss having one.

Zoarder

2020 Philanthropist
Supporter
2020 POTM
I've tried my luck with two Blue Spotted Jawfish. One passed away about a month later, and the second one lasted over 7 months until it succumbed to disease. I think part of the problem with my second jawfish was that his burrow collapsed and he stressed out till it died. After his permanent burrow, he never found one where he stayed long.

I know these species also come from cooler waters, so that could be part of the problem. If I setup this potential nano, I would be willing to dedicate the tank to this species.

So what's been your experience with these sometimes hard to keep fish? Any tips? I miss having one.
Jami tried two in her 8 gallon nano and no luck....

Mines going on 6 months...
Hes the second ive owned, first one decided to go carpet surfing one night.

I dont do anything special just feed.the fishes all the stuff

Jami tried two in her 8 gallon nano and no luck....
The more I read, the more discouraged it is to keep this type of fish in a nano. I might reconsider.

Does anyone have experience with the Pearly White Jawfish in a bigger tank? I don't know if they're cool water too or if they're hardier...

JOSE CASAS

Premium Member
Supporter
The longest I had one with out a cover on my tank was 3 days. Now with a cover 11 months but I also think being that they r from cooler waters thy don't last very long.

Tangwich

2020 Philanthropist
I agree with you guys about the cooler waters being a factor in their lifespan. I had one in a 34g red sea max for about a year and then just one day, he wasn't happy in his burrow and kept looking for a way out of the tank even though all the other fish were docile. After that, it just settled in a corner of the tank and held a sign that read "need cooler waters" until it perished.

JOSE CASAS

Premium Member
Supporter
I agree with you guys about the cooler waters being a factor in their lifespan. I had one in a 34g red sea max for about a year and then just one day, he wasn't happy in his burrow and kept looking for a way out of the tank even though all the other fish were docile. After that, it just settled in a corner of the tank and held a sign that read "need cooler waters" until it perished.
Dayum mine did the same but he wrote I need cooler water in Spanish. Lmao

Well, I guess we all reached the same consensus. It's too bad, these fish are so great looking and are full of personality. Oh well, gotta move on to Plan B.

Well, I guess we all reached the same consensus. It's too bad, these fish are so great looking and are full of personality. Oh well, gotta move on to Plan B.
I feel the same way. After some research I decided not to buy one. It's so hard to resist when I see one tho lol what's your plan B?

Tangwich

2020 Philanthropist
^^^ +1...thats a great plan B....IME, they tend to do better in moderate temp tanks. At least mine did.

I had one for only 3 days but it jumped to it's death over night. Found it lifeless in the morning.

Sent from my Nexus 5 using Tapatalk

Why don't you get some Hancock barnacle blennies? They have great personalities as well. Easy to keep and very hardy.