Ph hit 8.50 today...

kyroshi

So over the past four weeks i have kept up on maintenance on the tank. Keeping filter socks clean, skimmer clean, weekly 20g-25g water changes, installed carbon 3 weeks ago.

So four weeks ago my ph would range between 8.4-8.26. Each week after water changes it goes up about .1
Now today it hit 8.5.

I do have two fans blowing at the top of the tank 24/7 to keep temps stable.

Any ideas on why it keeps going up and any tips on lowering it or keeping it stable? The current 24 hour swing is about .2

mkfmedic

When was the last time you calibrated your probe? I thought I had an issue with my pH rising to those levels and after re-calibrating the probe, found that I had no problem at all. Just a thought.

Mike

kyroshi

When was the last time you calibrated your probe? I thought I had an issue with my pH rising to those levels and after re-calibrating the probe, found that I had no problem at all. Just a thought.

Mike
Its been 7-8 months probably.

Mike
Yep, same here. My pH kept raising week by week and went all the way up to 8.7. From then, I knew it was my probe. Calibrated and everything is back to normal. pH is reading 8.1 now.

bvysochin

Supporter
2020 POTM
Oak View, CA 93022- about 15 min from Ventura
PH isn't a number you should be chasing.. instead it should be an indication on how your system is doing. For example, If you see large ph swings, good chance your alk is low. Of course it may mean other things if you also use a CaRX or kalkwasser. At that ph, I wouldn't even worry. If you are concerned about ph, make sure you check it at around the same time, every time, as it should always be higher after your lights have been on, all other variables set aside.

kyroshi

PH isn't a number you should be chasing.. instead it should be an indication on how your system is doing. For example, If you see large ph swings, good chance your alk is low. Of course it may mean other things if you also use a CaRX or kalkwasser. At that ph, I wouldn't even worry. If you are concerned about ph, make sure you check it at around the same time, every time, as it should always be higher after your lights have been on, all other variables set aside.
I dont dose anything currently. And my alk isnt low. I only brought uo the ph because the number has climbed every week which hasnt happened before. Also i have been checking it every day the same time. After work when i get home which is usually when it peaks

kyroshi

Thank you guys for the input and suggestions of recalibration. I re-calibrated tonight and PH dropped down to 8.09 11:18pm (I knew the readings I was getting couldn't be right 8.3 up to 8.5 lol)