New to everything

Sdudley67

My name is Scott, I live in Glendora and I am new to pretty much everything aquarium and salt. I have wanted a saltwater aquarium for several years and my wife purchased one for me for fathers day. It's a 65 gallon measures 36x18x24. I have around 60lbs of live rock. 29 gal sump. It's been up and running for about a week and a half. Haven't seen an amonia spike yet.

Zoarder

2020 Philanthropist
Supporter
2020 POTM
My name is Scott, I live in Glendora and I am new to pretty much everything aquarium and salt. I have wanted a saltwater aquarium for several years and my wife purchased one for me for fathers day. It's a 65 gallon measures 36x18x24. I have around 60lbs of live rock. 29 gal sump. It's been up and running for about a week and a half. Haven't seen an amonia spike yet.
Welcome! Saltwater tanks are awesome and addicting! Just keep testing and be patient that's one thing we all have to learn to do lol

Nice man I'm in Glendora also if you ever need anything let me know

Chris

lowbudget

Premium Member
Supporter
welcome. 60 gallon is a good manageable size tank not too expensive to maintain and enough room to hold you over for about a year. what are your plans for livestock? the key to this hobby is patients. let nature do its thing. throw in some fish food in the tank and sit back and relax for a month or 2 make sure you keep the tank topped off

Six2seven

Premium Member
Supporter
Welcome. What an awesome gift. This is a great place to learn and hang out. Don't be afraid to Ask questions, some people here really know their stuff.

My first post looked exactly like yours, I have a 50 gallon and it's my first tank, been up and running for 3 months. Patience is key, it took over 3 weeks for my tank to even start the cycle. It's a marathon, not a sprint.

Sdudley67

Quick update and more info on my setup

65gallon tank
20gallon sump
70lbs cured live rock
60lbs Fiji pink live sand
10lbs miracle mud
2) jabeo wp25 wavemakers
Quiet pro 4000 return pump

Setup has been running for two weeks. Added three damsels as instructed to help with cycle
Didn't test water for the first week as instructed. Tested today. Ammonia zero
Nitrite zero and nitrates at 10. I have diatoms everywhere. I would assumed tank has not even started?

pgr11

Supporter
Good looking tank. Since you didn't test you can't be sure when you had a ammonia spike. It seems though that you at least had a cycle since you have 0 ammonia and nitrite but are measuring nitrates. I would suggest you ditch the damsels now! Return them to the LFS as they will be aggressive and unwanted soon. If you like clowns get a pair and enjoy them for a bit before adding other fish.

Latest posts