Reef newbie

drud0616

Hello everyone,

I'm new to this hobby and would love to get some expert advice from you guys. So I'm starting a new reef tank. Currently I have 55 gallon hexagonal tank. 2ft x 2ft x 2ft. The issue I'm having is choosing the proper lighting setup of this type of tank. So here's the criteria that I would like to abide by:

1) Reef Tank with Soft Corals, LPS Corals and Live Rock. (SPS is possible)

2) Price to be ideally less than $200

3) must fit in the aquarium hood which is approximately the same L xW as the tank. (Hanging the lights isn't an option).

I'd appreciate any advice that can be given. If there is any other information I'm missing out please let me know. Thanks!!!

Tangwich

2020 Philanthropist
you'd have a better chance pulling a quarter out of a monkey's a$$......hahahahahahaha..completely kidding..welcome drud to SCR...I believe i saw someone posted an aqua illumination led for $200 a few days ago but not sure that would cover the 2x2 spread you're looking for....did you want to go led lighting or t5 or metal halide? I'm sure you can find a t5 fixture for under 200 as well as a mh setup also.

Wankel

Supporter
Most small setups, Maxspect, AI, Radion, etc. cover 24". You're just going to have to hang it because up close and personal inside a hood isn't going to work.

Fab up a bar from electrical conduit screw it to the the back of the stand and hang it from that. Otherwise you might look into Ecoxotic led strips, and get a couple of each color, white and blue.

drud0616

Greets appreciate all the advice I think for my application LEDs seem to be the best option. I don't think T5s will fit in a 24" Width tank and at the same time, provide the proper intensity I need for the depth of the tank. Metal halides just create way too much heat. I was thinking of cutting a hole in the canopy and mount the LEDs throughout the hole. It should provide me with a clearance of 6" from the lights to the water surface.

planbtypea

Welcome, you will find LOTS of help here. I don't know how handy you are with electronics and what not, but if you are, you could probably DIY a LED build for your existing hood to cover the whole hexagon.

Latest posts