Water change station

I would like to try to put a 20 gal plastic tank in my garage that is fed off of my return pump.so that when I do water changes I just need to turn off two valves and it drains. The only problem I have logistically is how to feed it, so when power shuts of it does not flood my sump. Any body try this before? What would you recommend?

My Tank Build
Yea. Sense it's in your gauge u don't have to worry about the sound. So I say put 2 bulkheads on the barrel. One at the bottom, this will b the drain line to drain the barrel for the water change. Then the other bulkhead 4" below where u want the water line at in the barrel. Then just put a 90 degree elbow pointing up. This line would be plumbed back to your sump as a return to tank line. Then all u would have to do is plumb a feed from tank line dumping into the barrel. So when u wanted to do a water change all u would have to do I close the valve that feed the barrel from the tank and open the valve that drains the whole barrel.
Nifty idea to make water changes easier but the only problem would be the temp of your garage. If your garage stays a good temp then it would work great. But I know my garage is hot during summer and cold during winter. Plus is u park your car in the garage u might get that carbon from the exhaust of the car in your system some how.

Thanks. That's what I had in mind, it should be quiet on the sump side right? I was planning on insulating the hell out of it. And eventually setup a water heater coil for heating tank water.

IMO youre making it too complicated. I wouldnt plumb it in as a 2nd sump without its own pump. otherwise youll need a bypass circuit, etc. Id use the main pump to drain the sump, and keep the mixing tank separate, elevate it then use a valve to let gravity dump it into the sump during water change.

I also have a mixing station in the garage and do water changes in the morning after it has cooled, no problems.

IMO youre making it too complicated. I wouldnt plumb it in as a 2nd sump without its own pump. otherwise youll need a bypass circuit, etc. Id use the main pump to drain the sump, and keep the mixing tank separate, elevate it then use a valve to let gravity dump it into the sump during water change.

I also have a mixing station in the garage and do water changes in the morning after it has cooled, no problems.
Not gonna work, can't pump out more than 8 gallons before pump cavitation. I have a mixing tub already. Plan was to have valve after return pump that I can turn off and stop flow into tank, and a valve on bottom to drain tank. Then I can pump mixed water into tank and open return valve. I'm talking about a closed tank like schnitzel is using for his mixing station.

hmm, pump cavitation has to do with bubble formation due to pressure not due to the pump running dry. ive had several mixing stations and one lesson I learned early was not to trust it all to 1 pump, 1 circuit, 1 safety valve. simplicity, backups and step by step checklist like pilots during a plane take off is how I have never had a flood. sorry i couldnt help, good luck.

Latest posts