6500K in reef tank

h2pvnus

Hi. Is there anyone in here that use 6500K MH bulb or 6500K preset on Radion Ecotech Live. I just watched a video on youtube and Mike Palleta use 6500K MH bulb with actinic bulb to blast the corals for 2-3 hours so it will get better grow then he switch back to 14000K for the rest of his ligjt schedule.

solitude127

Instant Ocean User
Supporter
Featured Reef
2020 POTM
I use a 6500k bulb in my mix of t5s bulbs. It's probably one of my favorite bulbs out there

best growth I ever had with sps was with an iwasaki 6700k bulb in a frag tank. works great ime but tank looks yellow/white and corals look bland. corals looked great under 20k bulbs so I'd switch out the bulbs when I sold frags. Sounds like Palleta solved that issue.

6500 k spectrum via LEDs is not the same as metal halide. 6.5k -
10k LEDs don't do anything for corals

Sent from my outdated iPhone 5 using Tapatalk

not doubting you, i just like to read up on claims.

you got any info to back that up?

seems like if it's in the same light temperature, it'd be doing the same thing?

JOSE CASAS

Premium Member
Supporter
Hi. Is there anyone in here that use 6500K MH bulb or 6500K preset on Radion Ecotech Live. I just watched a video on youtube and Mike Palleta use 6500K MH bulb with actinic bulb to blast the corals for 2-3 hours so it will get better grow then he switch back to 14000K for the rest of his ligjt schedule.
I run the radiant graph on the radion and run 10k for 2 hours during peak time. I also runt the 14k the majority of the day. I really like the look with leds, super crisp. That is surprising to hear about palleta because he stated on you tube he hated led .

JOSE CASAS

Premium Member
Supporter

Hmmm dont do any thing to corals? Is there a link to this claim?

I think dr. Sanjay article

i see comparisons of LED vs. T5 vs. MH, and I see comparisons of LEDs among each other, but i'm not finding anything about the difference in output between LED vs. MH when they're the same color temp?

I can't find the link at the moment
Dr. Sanjay had a presentation on SCMAS few years ago and the topic was LEDs. Something about the white LEDs wavelength doesn't do much for the corals.

http://reefkeeping.com/issues/2006-03/sj/index.
The cool white LED bulb with that hump is too much & at higher pars the coral can't protect itself & basically implodes, bleaches, won't grow as well ect., or can make certain colors look bland or flat. They also make the overall view too icy & cold to the eye, which we've learned with the inital bue & white LED setups & some of the commercial models that have flooded the market over the last few years.

From RC

I can't find the link at the moment
Dr. Sanjay had a presentation on SCMAS few years ago and the topic was LEDs. Something about the white LEDs wavelength doesn't do much for the corals.

http://reefkeeping.com/issues/2006-03/sj/index.
The cool white LED bulb with that hump is too much & at higher pars the coral can't protect itself & basically implodes, bleaches, won't grow as well ect., or can make certain colors look bland or flat. They also make the overall view too icy & cold to the eye, which we've learned with the inital bue & white LED setups & some of the commercial models that have flooded the market over the last few years.

From RC

that was several years back. my understanding is that he came out very recently to give another presentation, and has personally gone to LEDs?

anyone at that presentation want to chime in on this? maybe the 6.5-10k LEDs are better now?

The trouble is that there is no specific 6500K LED I would say. You need many types of LEDs to give the same spectral distribution as a T5 or Metal halide would.

Here is a screenshot of a test I did a few years back. roughly a 6500k lamp

now here is a shot of a single LED ( I didn't do this one)

as you see the LED just has one peak then drops down. To get the same "Full specrum" as you would in a MH or T5 you would need so many different all jammed together so the coral would receive it all.

6500k is considered "full spectrum" as it mimics the color as the sunlight at noon time. The problem is it makes the corals look like poo color wise. That's why plasma lighting hasn't taken off IMO

G-forced

Dr. Sanjay's personal preference, as stated on the last presentation, is on the side of the 6.5k look. He runs his lights at 100% on all colors while he is at work and turns down the blues by 50% when he gets home.

Dr. Sanjay's personal preference, as stated on the last presentation, is on the side of the 6.5k look. He runs his lights at 100% on all colors while he is at work and turns down the blues by 50% when he gets home.
He said he like the whiter look but we don't know if it from mh or t5 or LEDs

I love whiter color too because I love fish better than corals and white LEDs makes the fish pop but I can't run white LEDs all the time without damaging my SPS.

If 10k and up LEDs dont do anything for corals why do the corals react to them? Too intense and they bleach. Its probably not as beneficial as blue led but you cant say they do nothing.
I think red, green, yellow, cyan, lime, etc is useless light and wasted energy.. JMO.. i cannot back that up either, LOL!

He said he like the whiter look but we don't know if it from mh or t5 or LEDs

I love whiter color too because I love fish better than corals and white LEDs makes the fish pop but I can't run white LEDs all the time without damaging my SPS.

I also like whiter look but when i crank up the whites my corals start losing color.
Probably switching back to T5HO soon..

I never like t5 for 10 years but I am becoming a big fan specially if you mixed it with LEDs :)