Protein skimmer without sump

drud0616

Hey everyone,
I've been reading a ton of conflicting information regarding setting up a reef tank, however the one thing that seems to always be recommended is a protein skimmer.
The problem I'm running into is my current tank setup does not contain a sump. I'd like to avoid having one as this can get very unsightly and I don't have a place to hide it in my tiny NYC apartment. I have a Cascade 1000 canister filter which connects to my 55 gallon tank. The questions I have is A: do I need a protein skimmer with this type of filter and B: how would I set this up given the lack of a sump. I hear that the "hang-on" skimmers aren't a covert good option either.

Thank you in advance!

Hang on skimmer is really the only option. I think there are few good ones out there. I'd check reef octopus and aquamax.

KarL

Reason you probably have read so much conflicting info is because there are multiple ways to have a successful reef tank. Most important thing is to have good stable water. Whether you have skimmer or not, yes or no to water changes, this gadget or that, blah blah blah, etc etc

No sump because the tank is not drilled? Or you don't have space. Jbj nano cubes run fine without a skimmer. I had one running for 6-8 months and everything grew fine with no issues. Just make sure you do water changes to take out any nitrates/nitrites. Phosphates. Etc.

drud0616

No sump because the tank is not drilled? Or you don't have space. Jbj nano cubes run fine without a skimmer. I had one running for 6-8 months and everything grew fine with no issues. Just make sure you do water changes to take out any nitrates/nitrites. Phosphates. Etc.
No sump because of the space. Also I must admit I'm not very knowledgeable about sumps. Eventually I'll move my way up to it, but for now I want to keep the current setup.
Someone mentioned the odyssea pro pack skimmer, with a rio 800rvt pump as a good/cost-effective option for a protein skimmer. Just wondering what your thoughts were regarding this product? It's only around $50 which is 1/3 of the price from other HOB skimmers. That just makes me skeptical right off the bat

gr1mm

in this hobby I learn that cheap things always end up costing you more, research your equipment and check out the feed back, make sure it meets your needs before you buy it.

gr1mm

you got any picture of your set up and type on stand, there no room underneath the tank for a sump?

I did tons of research before I bought mine. I'm running an aqua c remora HOB with the pre skimmer box. Great reviews across the board. Pulls out tons of junk and I have a mixed reef in it with a huge 6" clam. Check eBay or Craigslist. The only thin that can really go wrong is the pump and you can find them really cheap.

image.jpg

Latest posts