Sump or No sump

• DIY Overflow out of PVC for sump

Votes: 0 0.0%

• Total voters

Smite

Premium Member
Supporter
2020 POTM
It depends on your bioload. I didn't run a skimmer on my 18 and had good color and growth on my SPS with weekly water changes with a small pair of clowns. Once I added a few more fish and started to get excess nutrients I tried the IM nano skimmer but it was touchy. You would need a ATO to even have a chance at it working. It pulled okay skimmate once locked in. I later upgraded to a deltec hob and that thing rocked. Water level didn't effect performance at all. It did raise my temp 1 degree though due to the mj1200.

But really on a nano a skimmer is just one more thing to pull out and clean. Siphon the bed one week, and the back chambers the next during your water changes and youll be good to go.

IME the ATO was the best purchase (next to a quality light) that I made. The smallest evap throws a tiny tank like that off. After rock and sand your probably talking about 12gals or so, things change rapidly! Cant wait to see more pic and great tank! I always wanted a IM, so sleek.

It depends on your bioload. I didn't run a skimmer on my 18 and had good color and growth on my SPS with weekly water changes with a small pair of clowns. Once I added a few more fish and started to get excess nutrients I tried the IM nano skimmer but it was touchy. You would need a ATO to even have a chance at it working. It pulled okay skimmate once locked in. I later upgraded to a deltec hob and that thing rocked. Water level didn't effect performance at all. It did raise my temp 1 degree though due to the mj1200.

But really on a nano a skimmer is just one more thing to pull out and clean. Siphon the bed one week, and the back chambers the next during your water changes and youll be good to go.

IME the ATO was the best purchase (next to a quality light) that I made. The smallest evap throws a tiny tank like that off. After rock and sand your probably talking about 12gals or so, things change rapidly! Cant wait to see more pic and great tank! I always wanted a IM, so sleek.
I got the JBJ ATO but was too big and now I'm looking for a nano version of ATO. I might just stick with water changes until I find a protein skimmer that I can fit in compartments.

For bio load I'm just going have a pair of clownfish and hermits crabs with a few snails not sure which yet. I do t want too many inhabitants maybe if I can catch my sexy shrimp I'll transfer him.

For corals I'm doing sps and arcos I'm wait for RAP to come so I can get bunch of sps. I also have few I want from Ellis Aquatics he seems to have some nice sps I also want to go to CoC I heard so much about it.

I want this tank to be a rearing tank for a blue tang since my big reef inhabitant don't like to play nice with a small blue tang. Until it get to 3 inches. Not sure if this is a good idea. Or keep it in the sump but the. I won't he able to enjoy it's growth.

Sent from my iPhone using Tam

First corals!! I frag these and tried to keep them tiny and allow for growth at a slow pace so I could enjoy it.

A dying sun coral but seems to like the tank and it is eating.

Colony of Eagle Eyes and Neon Dragonbreath Zoa

Decided to place one mushroom to add color for now.

Sent from my iPhone using Tam

Attachments

Doesn't look as colorful in this tank and can't see purple rim
The whit is because it was clipped underneath rock

Also not as colorful either but it's a bit pink and yet to open up completely at least it's pulsing.

A Kryptonite that was in bad shape so I fragged it and it is slowly opening up.

Another sps I over glued again. I can't glue much.

Attachments

How's the tank doing? Did you ever get a skimmer for this tank? I have the same tank, 1st gen and am coming across an issue with finding a skimmer that will work.

It is doing good I'm using it as a frag tank, I have the second generation and I am using the ghost protein skimmer. No issues

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

So I restarted due to a tank crash!! So this my new set up I am using dry sand and dead live rock.
What you guys think of my aqua scape?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I know it is a slow start but I am trying to make sure everything is perfect because I am going to keep this tank for the next couple of years in college.
I am thinking of doing an overflow with sump. Not sure if it is reasonable but I am doing it to have a display refugium to keep seahorses or pipefish
What you guys think?

Update

*Update
The tank arrived safely to college with me and is up and running. Cycled and I am just maintaining the cycle by ghost feeding until I get to LA.

My auto-top off last me about a month before I have to refill.

This will be my HOB refugium not sure if to add chaeto or mangrooves.

small tank will house either brine shrimp or pods not sure yet still deciding. you can also see my future QT tank.

Mini ridge will house my froozen food and might do a DIY chiller will see in the summer.