Goodbye LEDS

Well after months of agonizing, I ditched my Vertex Illumina LED fixture. I have been running it over a year. Loved the control and the colors but my corals hated it. I am sure the user was the error but I couldn't get it dialed in. I got some pre-sets (10k, 14K, 20K) from Vertex but nothing worked. I combined two nano's into a 66 gallon. The nano's both used Metal Halides. Corals grew well and had nice color. As soon as I got the LEDS, no growth and color loss. I started out with low intensity and worked my way up. I tested different color variations and nothing. Insult to injury, I spent a lot of money on the light. 2 days ago I installed an Odyessea 250 watt Metal Halide, T5 (actinic), LED (moons) fixture. Immediately upgraded the Metal Halide to a Phoenix. T5's as well. I got a nice light mount out of the United Kingdom. The new light and mount was half the price of the Vertex. Not that cheap is good but I think I got a decent light. I am hoping to kick start the tank again.
MH.jpg

Thanks. I read some good reviews on the Odyessea. I was concerned about the price being so affordable. It's hard not to buy into the hype of expensive items.......

Smite

Premium Member
Supporter
2020 POTM
Tank looks great. I recently got the same light and I'm happy with it as well. Are you running all actinic fir the t5s?

Corals getting better color. I like the illumination much better than LEDs. I don't run the actinics with the MH. When I run actinics, I use all 4. The 14k Phoenix MH bulb has great color. Has a nice blue hue.

Beautiful tank and color. Like to know more about your new light for your tank.
The light is a 24" inch long Odyssea. 1 250watt metal halide. 4 HO T5's. 4 moonlight LEDs. I immediately changed the MH to a 14k Phoenix. I also changed out the T5's with super blue actinic. I only run the actinics in the morning and evening. The Phoenix has a nice blue hue so I don't need to run them with MH. The light and upgrades were under $300. The LED fixture that I replaced was 4x's the cost. I am very happy with the color. The moons could be better but it's good. My chiller runs more but that's the trade off for MH.