Cycling Question?

I haven't cycled a tank in a while and when I did I used dry everything but this time I'm using established live rock, live sand, and established media rings. My question do I need to add ammonia to keep the beneficial bacteria alive or let it stabilize from the die of then add fish? Also can't seem to find the calculators to find the amount of ammonia to add?

Sent from my iPhone using Tam

If everything was live I'd just maybe put a piece of frozen shrimp inside for the bacteria to feed off of for a few days. If you starve your tank then all the bacteria will die off

If everything was live I'd just maybe put a piece of frozen shrimp inside for the bacteria to feed off of for a few days. If you starve your tank then all the bacteria will die off
I would rather put ammonia since the rot of shrimp will smell my room. It's a nano. If I would can I put krill? And how many?

I think one whole table shrimp should suffice. Since your using ceramic rings thats already colonize you should be fine, but to be on the safe side just test or check your ammonia a day or 2 of the shrimp. I normally have ceramic rings/blocks in bags sitting in my sump colonizing, and ready when I need to start my QT or my hospital tank. Never had any issue with this method. GL

I think one whole table shrimp should suffice. Since your using ceramic rings thats already colonize you should be fine, but to be on the safe side just test or check your ammonia a day or 2 of the shrimp. I normally have ceramic rings/blocks in bags sitting in my sump colonizing, and ready when I need to start my QT or my hospital tank. Never had any issue with this method. GL
Thanks I added a huge piece that is the size of a tablespoon maybe bigger. I have a few serpent sea stars that have survived so far. Yes I added a whole box in a mesh bag and it's been in my other tank for 6 months. Since I have bunch of bacteria shouldn't my cycle be very short maybe few days to two weeks?

Looks like your ceramics should be fully colonized. But again check your ammonia level to see if the bacteria has neutralized and converted..your system should sustain fish, but you'll still get the diatom and algae outbreak. Just go slow, I know it'll be hard..if you add to much stock and your bacteria can't keep up youll overload and crash your system ...

I know the drill. I actually want the diatom and algae I like the look of it. I am just adding a frostbite clownfish and rather wait but I really want to add a sexy shrimp and some CUC that what I will mainly keep along with an anemone.

Latest posts