Apex Breakout Box/Float/ATO setup

I received my breakout box yesterday from Jesse/Tangwich (thanks again, BTW). I kept the float valves from my old JBJ ATO so I could splice them into my BOB. To test, I used one float and connected the black wire to the GND port, with the red wire into the I1 port, then plugged the BOB into the I/O port on the controller.

I kept outlet #4 open, and went to settings. However, I am not seeing the control panel where i can type in the codes to setup the ATO. Furthermore, the switch just stays ON, even if I flip the float upside down. I know the floats are fine, as they were working perfectly when I had the JBJ. I also switched the wiring around on the BOB to see if that would help, but there was no change.

I'll attach pictures in next post.

solitude127

Instant Ocean User
Supporter
Featured Reef
2020 POTM
The programming has to be done on the outlet of the pump you're going to use to fill the tank.

solitude127

Instant Ocean User
Supporter
Featured Reef
2020 POTM
Here's my programming
Outlet ATO1:
Fallback OFF
Set OFF
If ATO CLOSED Then ON
If ATO_BU OPEN Then OFF
Defer 001:00 Then ON
Min Time 010:00 Then ON
If Outlet Timer1_ATO = ON Then OFF
If FeedA 000 Then OFF

Virtual outlet Timer1_ATO:
Set OFF
If Outlet ATO1 = ON Then ON
Defer 010:30 Then ON

I named the switch to activate the top off ATO. I named my backup switch (if the water level in the sump gets too high) ATO_BU

Here's my programming
Outlet ATO1:
Fallback OFF
Set OFF
If ATO CLOSED Then ON
If ATO_BU OPEN Then OFF
Defer 001:00 Then ON
Min Time 010:00 Then ON
If Outlet Timer1_ATO = ON Then OFF
If FeedA 000 Then OFF

Virtual outlet Timer1_ATO:
Set OFF
If Outlet ATO1 = ON Then ON
Defer 010:30 Then ON

I named the switch to activate the top off ATO. I named my backup switch (if the water level in the sump gets too high) ATO_BU
How come im not getting the "set off" option on my program screen? Is my bob and/or floats not being recognized?

solitude127

Instant Ocean User
Supporter
Featured Reef
2020 POTM
Yeah I tried going to the setup screen for outlet 4; however I don't see the programming options people cite when they setup theirs.
How come im not getting the "set off" option on my program screen? Is my bob and/or floats not being recognized?

You have to go with "advanced" programming under "control type"

Last edited:

solitude127

Instant Ocean User
Supporter
Featured Reef
2020 POTM
Setup another float switch higher than the one that activates the ATO. I'll get you a picture in a few.

G-Tank

Premium Member
Supporter
The simplest and easiest way is to program into the ATO pump outlet and use SW1-SW6 rather than making a virtual outlet.

I converted my JBJ float switches also and was having the same issue as you (not responding to Open and Close). It turned out that one of the JBJ float valves was bad for some reason and used the second one. This took me weeks to try to figure out because I was adamant that the float switches worked and there is an issue with my programming. This would be my first troubleshooting step.

Also when you trigger the float switches, make sure you are on the computer to verify versus your phone connected to fusion since sometimes the phone lags and you get frustrated while in general, the switch does open and close.

DEVICE 4_4
NAME: ATO

Fallback OFF
If Sw1 CLOSED Then ON
If Sw1 OPEN Then OFF

If you want to add another float valve, you will just need to add the same coding for the second switch. Good luck!

The simplest and easiest way is to program into the ATO pump outlet and use SW1-SW6 rather than making a virtual outlet.

I converted my JBJ float switches also and was having the same issue as you (not responding to Open and Close). It turned out that one of the JBJ float valves was bad for some reason and used the second one. This took me weeks to try to figure out because I was adamant that the float switches worked and there is an issue with my programming. This would be my first troubleshooting step.

Also when you trigger the float switches, make sure you are on the computer to verify versus your phone connected to fusion since sometimes the phone lags and you get frustrated while in general, the switch does open and close.

DEVICE 4_4
NAME: ATO

Fallback OFF
If Sw1 CLOSED Then ON
If Sw1 OPEN Then OFF

If you want to add another float valve, you will just need to add the same coding for the second switch. Good luck!
with this, when I check my switches against fusion, would the change reflect immediately, or is there a load time? I checked against the laptop and there wasn't any change after refreshing. However I'm not sure I wired my floats correctly.

The pressure switch is the main and the float switch is the backup

How did you wire them into the breakout box? Does each float share the same ground, and utilize L1, L2 etc? Or are both wired into the same leads?

solitude127

Instant Ocean User
Supporter
Featured Reef
2020 POTM
How did you wire them into the breakout box? Does each float share the same ground, and utilize L1, L2 etc? Or are both wired into the same leads?
All of the switches' ground all get wired to the single ground on the BOB. Each of the leads gets wired into it's own slot (L1, L2, etc)

G-Tank

Premium Member
Supporter
It should register right away and it does not matter which wire is on the ground (reversible). Also check the connection on the BOB to the module, sometimes it gets loose.

Update:

BOB/ATO is now working off Outlet #4. Thanks everyone for the help. Just need to incorporate the secondary BU float. But it's not as "urgent", as my ATO reservoir is only 5 gal.

solitude127

Instant Ocean User
Supporter
Featured Reef
2020 POTM
Update:

BOB/ATO is now working off Outlet #4. Thanks everyone for the help. Just need to incorporate the secondary BU float. But it's not as "urgent", as my ATO reservoir is only 5 gal.
Good to hear. Since you already have a BOB, maybe you can incorporate a float switch in your ato reservoir to notify you when it's low

Latest posts