Would you go with acrylic or glass for a 150 gallon tank?

What would you get?

• Total voters

JDEllis

Owner @ Ellis Aquatics
Supporter
I have dealt with hundreds of each, at 150g size I would still recommend glass, my personal 150 is glass and prior to that I had the exact same dimensions in acrylic and hated it. If maintenance is harder, you are less likely to do it. I personally take a razor blade to my glass all the time and can clean weeks (sometimes months) of algae of in about 10-15 minutes tops all while multi-tasking: watching tv, getting nagged at by the wife for how dirty it is, and a cold drink in the other hand. LOL

GLASS 1000%

I have an acrylic 150. I just had a leak from the overflow box this week. In the process of repairing. One plus about acrylic is you can do repairs on it, while on glass not so easy. I was debating this with Campnge, Jerry on Monday. He said something that I have to agree with 100%. If this leak would have been on a glass tank, then it would've been worse leading to a broken seal and a great flood. I have to live with the scratches but buffing with it full is a pain in the arse. All said and done, when I get a new place and a new tank, I'm going to do glass.

I have had both and would never go back to acrylic. I was thrilled when I first got my acrylic from a big name company but the scratches started coming within a matter of months. After 2 years I simply could not take it anymore and went back to glass.
Good luck with your decision.

Tangwich

2020 Philanthropist
Theres a reason the saying is "put 'em on the glass" and not "put 'em on the acrylic" just throwing that out there.

Six2seven

Premium Member
Supporter
I personally take a razor blade to my glass all the time and can clean weeks (sometimes months) of algae of in about 10-15 minutes tops all while multi-tasking: watching tv, getting nagged at by the wife for how dirty it is, %
Haha nagged by the wife had me rolling.

Latest posts