Bean animal overflow owners

Riblet

Premium Member
Supporter
I have always used the Herbie overflow style, but this time I am going to try bean animal style. I would like to see who here uses the straight pipe version versus the elbow type version, and if it worked out okay for you? Thx

I have always used the Herbie overflow style, but this time I am going to try bean animal style. I would like to see who here uses the straight pipe version versus the elbow type version, and if it worked out okay for you? Thx
I use the elbow version on my 180, which sucks. It takes forever for the siphon to start. I use the straight version on my frag tank, and it takes like 3 seconds for the siphon to start. I may scrap my 180, and go for a bigger tank with an external overflow, and do a vertical pipe style. I think schnitzel has the vertical style.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Last edited:
IME, the elbow/durso version is a waste of time time and space in the overflow. If your sump can handle the excess overflow, I would just go with a Stand pipe on the emergency only....

Riblet

Premium Member
Supporter
IME, the elbow/durso version is a waste of time time and space in the overflow. If your sump can handle the excess overflow, I would just go with a Stand pipe on the emergency only....
So you just use 2 bare bulkheads and 1 with a emergency pipe?

So you just use 2 bare bulkheads and 1 with a emergency pipe?
Yes sir..depending on your Plumbing size, you would only need one gate valve on one of the 2 main. What I like most about not having a stand pipe on the main is that, all that trapped detritus gets drain into your sock. ..

Riblet

Premium Member
Supporter
No baffles and remove both durso/stand pipe on the main drain would work best with your setup.
With no standpipes or baffle that's a lot of water going to your sump, the overflow box is almost 8 gallons by it self. Not to mention the tank overflow.

Last edited:

Latest posts