Herbie Overflow Questions

I've done a bit of Internet research on the Herbie overflow, but have not found any insight into whether there would be any issues plumbing somewhere other than straight down to the stand. My current setup uses a Durso with a center overflow, and uses no solid pvc (not sure of the term, but it's like the pool sweep hose material), which makes a slight left bend, runs through the wall to a closet and into the sump. I'm looking into an upgrade with a right side overflow using the Herbie method, but I'm not sure if plumbing this way would be an issue. Tank would be 24 inches tall, with a 36 inch stand. I estimate that the overflow would have to run to the left approximately 1.5-2 feet to the hole in the wall, then another 1-2 feet through the wall to the sump. I also would not really have access to the gate valve until almost the sump. Would something like this work? All pictures I see use the solid pvc, but is flexible pvc acceptable? Return pump would be a Tunze Silence 1073.05.

Riblet

Premium Member
Supporter
It should work fine at the sump, also flex pvc work fine too.

Yeah it should work out fine, but what would be better is to place the gate valve at the BH. After that is pretty much your preference, just make sure if you use soft tubing that it don't kink during the bend. Spa hose really works well with your intended application...

Spa hose would work best....gate valve with a barb adaptor is your solution. Soak the spa hose in hot water prior to slipping the hose over. If your sump can handle the water volume, I would recommend not using a stand pipe on the main drain....

Latest posts