Protein skimmer problems

First of all, sorry for so many threads, just have a lot of questions :)

Well, unfortunately i have a seaclone 100 protein skimmer, after doing a few mods to it, it worked well as a hang on, but now sense it's going to be in the sump, i have to get rid of the "J" tube. My question is, will it still work when getting rid of the "J" tube, or is that part of the design that makes it "work". I did a product search and it shows these are made for "in sump" and "hang on", but it doesn't show how you are supposed to have it in the sump, so im guessing all i do is toss the "J" tube, and connect the pump where intake is on the protein skimmer, correct me if i am wrong. I actually did this before, and ran it in my sink to see what it would do, but all it did was make huge bubbles no matter how much i turned the air up or down. Ahh wish i had some extra $$$ to just get a new SS!

R

reefer714

I am not very familiar with that kind of protein skimmer but one way to find out is try to run it without the U tube. Why don't you post some pic of your protein skimmer .... Much easier to figure thing out with the picture.

i have the same skimmer. i think your problem is you tried it in the sink. skimmers dont act the same in freshwater, i dont know why buy they dont.
i tried mine in sump mode, which is how you describe it, and it works better than with the j tube. i didnt adjust my air valve just took out the j tube.

Here is a picture when it was hanging on the back, please note there was no micro bubbles in the protein skimmer at the time of the picture because i was in the middle of mods for it so there was only water running through it with the air valve closed. Im take a couple pictures how it is right now.

i have the same skimmer. i think your problem is you tried it in the sink. skimmers dont act the same in freshwater, i dont know why buy they dont.
i tried mine in sump mode, which is how you describe it, and it works better than with the j tube. i didnt adjust my air valve just took out the j tube.
Thank you that is very good news! Yeah i was thinking the same thing when i tried it in my sink because i've heard before protein skimmers don't work the same in freshwater. Ahh that's such a huge relief i thought i was going to have to wait to get a new skimmer for in sump, but now that i know it works i'm very happy :D Thank you all!

R

reefer714

Here is a picture when it was hanging on the back, please note there was no micro bubbles in the protein skimmer at the time of the picture because i was in the middle of mods for it so there was only water running through it with the air valve closed. Im take a couple pictures how it is right now.

Easy fix. You can keep the U tube if you like, just extent the U tube with some hose and connect it into the pump Or you can have it hangon the back of your sump. There are many way to skin the cat brother. You can bring the skimmer over my house and will fix it for ya. I will be home today till sunday night.

Easy fix. You can keep the U tube if you like, just extent the U tube with some hose and connect it into the pump Or you can have it hangon the back of your sump. There are many way to skin the cat brother. You can bring the skimmer over my house and will fix it for ya. I will be home today till sunday night.
Thanks, im going to try it just with the pump straight to the intake of the skimmer,and see if it works, still waiting on the call that my acrylic tank came in so i can go pick it up and get everything set up, it all else fails with the skimmer, ill for sure be over your house sometime this weekend to make this dang thing work!

Attachments

R

reefer714

I'm asian. We asian people don't know how to invent anything but we know how to mod and get thing work.......:eek::eek:

I'm asian. We asian people don't know how to invent anything but we know how to mod and get thing work.......:eek::eek:
Hahahahaha. well, thats a very good thing, because if it wasnt for ya, then none of the mods i now have on the skimmer would be possible. Heres a picture of how it'll be inside the sump.

just tried it in my bathtub and got the same results, large bubbles, no misting.
Yeah, you must have one of the 1 outta 1000000000000000 seaclones that you are able to take out of the sump just to try an experiment like that and put it back in without a problem, man, im telling you, mine, once i get it dialed JUST right, theres no touching it, not worth the risk :p

R

reefer714

Man, you need to clean out the skimmer. If you keep it clean, also improve the performance