Final Equipment List Review!

GoBigGuy

I think I have finished my final equipment list and just wanted your thoughts before I start buying everything.
This will be a 180gal (72x24x24) glass tank

Phase 1(I'll buy first to get the tank up and running)
Sump ---------------------- eShopps R300 or Custom Glass Sump
Lights ---------------------- evergrow 165W (eBay) Adding 2 /4 Total
Protein Skimmer ---------- Bubble Magus NAC9
Return Pump -------------- Jebao DC-12000
Heater Controller --------- 1000w Heater Controller
Heater --------------------- 800w Titatium Heater
200lbs. Sand -------------- Caribsea Arag-Alive Special Grade Reef Sand

Phase 2(I'll buy after the tank gets up and running and get more fundage)
GFO/Carbon Reactor ------ TLF PhosBan Reactor 150 (X2)
Auto Top Off --------------- Tunze Osmolator Universal 3155 ATO
Aquarium Controller ------- Apex Gold

Let me know if you think any of the above is a bad choice

THANKS!

GoBigGuy

Don't get jebao. Get a fluval sp4 or sp6
What's wrong with Jebao? I've heard that you should keep an extra power supply on hand but other than that that they were pretty good, (plus I like the idea of being able to control it). I was looking at the SP4 because I thought the SP6 would be too much and I've heard if you try to put a valve on your return to try and control the flow it gets louder and shortens the life of the pump

Tangwich

2020 Philanthropist
Living in valencia, you're definitely missing either a chiller or other cooling system.

805reef

Premium Member
Supporter
Isn't it recommended to use 2 smaller heaters instead of one big one.

Also why not a custom acrylic sump? Advanced acrylics makes great ones.

If you get an apex you can use it with a break box to act as your ato.

The apex can act as your heater controller also but the apex is in step 2.

Jebaos are garbage. I regret buying mine. It's nowhere near the 12000lph that they advertise. People already gave you their opinions on the SP4, why second guess yourself? Ditch the ATO and use the apex. Same with the heater controller. Give John at Advanced Acrylics a call for a sump depending on price. If you're going with cheap Chinese lights, you might as well go with reefbreeders. They come with a warranty and have the better LED layout of cheap Chinese lights. I don't know what brand heater you're planning to buy, but I hope it's reputable because you don't want that thing frying your tank.

GoBigGuy

Isn't it recommended to use 2 smaller heaters instead of one big one.

Also why not a custom acrylic sump? Advanced acrylics makes great ones.

If you get an apex you can use it with a break box to act as your ato.

The apex can act as your heater controller also but the apex is in step 2.
Money is tight and I might be able to pick up a 65gal tank for $35 and just go DYI

GoBigGuy

Jebaos are garbage. I regret buying mine. It's nowhere near the 12000lph that they advertise. People already gave you their opinions on the SP4, why second guess yourself? Ditch the ATO and use the apex. Same with the heater controller. Give John at Advanced Acrylics a call for a sump depending on price. If you're going with cheap Chinese lights, you might as well go with reefbreeders. They come with a warranty and have the better LED layout of cheap Chinese lights. I don't know what brand heater you're planning to buy, but I hope it's reputable because you don't want that thing frying your tank.
Between having the control over the pump flow and saving money is why I switched from the SP4 to the DC12000. Are there any good DC pumps out there? I am either going to go DIY sump on a 65gal I am hoping to pick up or I might have a hookup on getting a custom glass built for under $200. the ATO and Apex are in the second round of buying, no way I can afford them off the bat

If money is tight now, wait till the dc1200 blows and now you spend mo money. In this hobby, I've learned not to be cheap buying skimmer and return pump. It's the heart of your system....GL

Reeflo Dart/snapper is pretty low wattage. And customer service is great. They'll pretty much replace anything no matter how old it is . if you go jebao make sure you test multiple times and figure out how much water drains to your sump in case it gives out. If you go check valve put one on drain and return. And I would add some t5s in the mix as well. LEDs are cool but too much blue glow and shimmer takes away from your reef IMO. Any power heads? Or are you going strong return. One wp40 would probably be enough for your tank with a strong return.