Where to get a custom stand?

Tangwich

2020 Philanthropist
i don't know, are you gonna have to go help someone and not be home when I come over?.. :p
if you do come over to help him mow his lawn, since you'll be in the area can you come over to my place and get measurements for the bar around my stand?

Raul-7

heh.. what makes one a "master" stand maker? but yes, RL has an inhouse welder and can make metal stands for ya.

you're talking budget at this point. "no pine or softwood" leaves a lot of options, what's your budget? what do you want it to look like? post up some example pictures of what you're shooting for. MDF is a bear of a material to work with, it tears up blades and is heavy as hell.

anyways, if you're looking for legit recommendations, put more effort into your request. the more specific you are, the most specific we can be.
It's for a 36x24x12 aquarium. I'd like it 30" tall. Maple or oak finish. Something simple and modern.

http://www.cadlights.com/index.php?main_page=product_info&cPath=27&products_id=159

Like that would be perfect, except for the finish.

It's for a 36x24x12 aquarium. I'd like it 30" tall. Maple finish. Something simple and modern.

http://www.cadlights.com/index.php?main_page=product_info&cPath=27&products_id=159

Like that would be perfect, except for the finish.
with a small tank like that, structural strength is pretty much a non-issue unless you were trying to build it out of cardboard.. :p

you won't even need a sub-frame of 2x4 inside, just a well built box with good connections.

since you don't want pine / soft wood, your surfaces will be somewhat limited. Plywood will more-or-less have the same characteristics as soft wood, so that's out. MDF seems like the only option, but then there would be no grain on the stand - as long as you know that and are ok with it, then it's cool.

all that aside, i'm actually not sure who has the time and tools to build one for ya.. >_< i'd imagine it's a matter of free time for most of the board members. i know that's my biggest problem.

Raul-7

with a small tank like that, structural strength is pretty much a non-issue unless you were trying to build it out of cardboard.. :p

you won't even need a sub-frame of 2x4 inside, just a well built box with good connections.

since you don't want pine / soft wood, your surfaces will be somewhat limited. Plywood will more-or-less have the same characteristics as soft wood, so that's out. MDF seems like the only option, but then there would be no grain on the stand - as long as you know that and are ok with it, then it's cool.

all that aside, i'm actually not sure who has the time and tools to build one for ya.. >_< i'd imagine it's a matter of free time for most of the board members. i know that's my biggest problem.
I don't mind plywood. I just hate pine because of the large dark spots and it doesn't take stain very well.

I bought a use tank with a metal frame but the metal starting to rust a bit what is the best way to rust proof it? I'm thinking of powder coating it you know any good place to do that?

heh.. what makes one a "master" stand maker? but yes, RL has an inhouse welder and can make metal stands for ya.

you're talking budget at this point. "no pine or softwood" leaves a lot of options, what's your budget? what do you want it to look like? post up some example pictures of what you're shooting for. MDF is a bear of a material to work with, it tears up blades and is heavy as hell.

most importantly, what size tank is this for? there's a threshold of cost/benefit between wood and steel. Personally, i think that threshold is about 120g. Below that, you can build a stand out of wood for cheaper than steel, above that, steel becomes a better option.

the caveat here is that most people do not factor "labor" into the equation. with wood stands, lots of people have wood working tools, and know how to cut / nail / screw pieces together, so they're only looking at the price of the materials. With steel, not everyone has welder / cutters and the know how. This is why steel stands seem "expensive", even though realistically, steel stands for tanks above 120g not only costs less, but weigh less, and performs better if you're not paying someone to build it.

case in point, this 6x2x3 stand made of 2"x2" steel tubing costed me $130 in material. that's about how much you'd be paying for 2x6 and 2x4 for a wood stand.

anyways, if you're looking for legit recommendations, put more effort into your request. the more specific you are, the most specific we can be.

I bought a use tank with a metal frame but the metal starting to rust a bit what is the best way to rust proof it? I'm thinking of powder coating it you know any good place to do that?
I would grind it out and use a brush grinder to get rid of all the rust if it's not too far gone then prep for repaint

yup, powder coating is the best, otherwise, you can do the plastic-dip spray stuff that you can buy from HD, but it's really not much cheaper, especially for something big.

I get mine powder coated by Juan on the forum. I honestly can't remember his screen name.. >_<

I'll ask Noah.

I build furniture and cabinetry for a living. PM me and I'll give you all the advice you need for free. Now if you want me to build you something.... That'd be another story. !st bit of advice, no MDF. It doesn't like water...

Latest posts