Schnitzels Pooper Pumper 3000!!!

So I got the idea awhile back to run a 1/4" line outside of my house and hook it up to my skimmer to drain the collection cup. My goal was to let it gravity drain out to a drain I have in my side yard. I controlled it with a 110v solenoid. Well the idea kind of worked, but the line would get air in it and stop draining. So I scratched that idea.

Then came the idea for the pooper pumper 3000. I decided to use my masterflex dosing pump to pump the fish poo right out of the cup. It worked great. I have an eb8 in my shed that controls the pooper pumper.

Check it out

http://youtu.be/MTgNaRQ_giY

Works pretty awesome. Drains my skimmer cup in like 1 minute, no need to ever remove my skimmer cup.

Also I added the solenoid that I stopped using to my ro/di reservoir. Now I can fill my reservoir by just pushing a button on my apex, and turn it off from my bed. Pretty sweet

Six2seven

Premium Member
Supporter
pretty good idea. do you have a swabbie in that skimmer? That way you really wouldn't have to remove the skimmer. love your mount job on the ebb lol

pretty good idea. do you have a swabbie in that skimmer? That way you really wouldn't have to remove the skimmer. love your mount job on the ebb lol
No swabbie yet. I was ready to order one right when I bought the skimmer, but I don't think I need one. Once the skimmer broke in and I got it tuned, the water level inside the neck was only a couple inches from the top. So there isn't a huge amount of skimmate that builds up on the inside of the skimmer. It's kind of hard to explain, but it took me awhile to tune this skimmer. I kept lowering the water level inside the neck, but it performed best when the water level was right at the top. On my reef octopus skimmer I had to keep the water level much lower or the skimmer would overflow.

My Tank Build
Nick, believe me get a swabbie. It make a world of difference. Keeps that neck clean and u get a nastier skimmate. Plus I think by keeping your water level so high in the neck your kinda living in the danger zone. If any of your corals or invert spawn at night your skimmer is going to go bananas. Maybe if the foam wasn't so high in the neck u might not overflow the cup (doubt it) but at least u have a little play room in the skimmer neck.

MarineDepot

Proud Sponsor
Premium sponsor
So I got the idea awhile back to run a 1/4" line outside of my house and hook it up to my skimmer to drain the collection cup. My goal was to let it gravity drain out to a drain I have in my side yard. I controlled it with a 110v solenoid. Well the idea kind of worked, but the line would get air in it and stop draining. So I scratched that idea.

Then came the idea for the pooper pumper 3000. I decided to use my masterflex dosing pump to pump the fish poo right out of the cup. It worked great. I have an eb8 in my shed that controls the pooper pumper.
Cool idea!

xmas_one

Might want to run a hard line from the skimmer to the intake on your pump, I could see soft line getting clogged with schmutz and collapsing on itself. Cool idea!

Speaking of neck cleaners....Here's a ReefBuilders article that just came out: http://reefbuilders.com/2014/09/24/protein-skimmer-neck-cleaners-work/
That's pretty awesome. Now imagine never having to empty a skimmate collector!!! I am planning on letting my skimmer run for a couple weeks, and I'll check the skimmer neck and see how bad the build up is. Then I'll see if I'm gunna get an auto neck cleaner.

Another reason I did this, was to keep the smell out of my stand. This skimmer cup is so big, it was stinking up the whole room when it was full.