Lemme pick ur brain! Stinky plumbing!

Hey :)
New SH tank is doing great.. Except!.. There is a very handy bulkhead at the bottom tank in back. Helpful for water changes.. But I notice a gross smell coming from back of tank.. And when I open the ball valve for WC it's like a sewer!! Any ideas to prevent water from collecting there fouling up? Are there rubber plugs that fit bulkheads? Maybe cap it off inside tank? It's so nasty!

Sent from my blinged out girly iPhone using Tapatalk

thanks! :) was contemplating that.. but I still need to plug the bulkhead to change plumbing around, or I will drain whole tank :( Trying to find out if there is a reef safe rubber plug that will work to just stuff in the tank side of the bulkhead. Not sure what kind of rubber would be safe though..

Ok looks like 3/4in. Is the inside of the bulkhead smooth or threaded? HD should have both types. I have to drain my sump last year to repair a leak and I used those 1 1/2in threaded cap to plug the pipe. But like Dan said easier to put a valve right behind the bulkhead.

lol Thanks.. ya, I woulda swore that was a "2".. but it seemed strange to put 2/4 instead of 1/2. I'm the first to admit, tho.. plumbing is not my strength.. so lol It is now documented for eternity! ;) I will move the ball valve.. but do I need to use any tape , o-ring,etc, when capping it off? or will it be water tight enough to prevent leaking?

ok, so being smooth on inside.. what should i use to cap it off inside tank for the time it would take to change the plumbing up? Also, do you think I will still have trouble with the water that will collect inside the elbow down to the valve 2 inches below it?

I would just stick a pvc plug in there. Wedge it in there, chances are it probably won't leak.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Latest posts