Refractometer question

Can these refractometers go bad? I have had mine for like 5-6 years. I tested my water and it says it's fine ( sg ~1.024 salinity ~ 30). I took my water to have it tested cause all my test kits have expired and when they tested the salinity it came back with a sp~ 1.040 on their refrac. I came home and put some freshwater to make sure mine was calibrated and it showed it was. So for the hell of it I took my refrac to the store and it showed on their water that it was way uncalibrated. So they calibrated it to their water and I came home and tested my water again and got the exact same thing ( sg ~1.024 salinity~ 30) went to another store and their refrac showed sp~ 1.027. Has my refrac bit the dust?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I use distilled water to calibrate my refractometer. Some people say you should be using the 1.025 solution because the distilled water zero's the refractometer out. I've had my refractometer for over four years and it still reads accurately. Might want to try different calibration fluids. I'd start with distilled water as it's the cheapest. Also, give the refractometer 45 seconds to a minute to adjust for temperature.

+1
Ive used distilled, ro/di and the calibration solution.
I did find that using distilled or ro water to calibrate can make the refractometer read 2 points low compared to 1.026 solution.
Always wait 1 minute before making any adjustments and taking the final reading regardless of what you use to calibrate it.

Riblet

Premium Member
Supporter
Make sure you keep the cap On the fluid or else it evaporate and the salt level will go up, also don't keep it too long.

I think the right way is to use distilled water to calibrate. I just use the faucet water or drinking or ro/di water. Not much difference from what I have seen. I do use mine to test other reefer's water and most of them have 1.025....I guess mine is OK

I could also use the RO to calibrate my refractometer and then use the solution to make sure it's testing correctly

I use distilled water to calibrate my Milwaukee digital salinity reader...

Sent from my Nexus 5 using Tapatalk

I use distilled water to calibrate my Milwaukee digital salinity reader...

Sent from my Nexus 5 using Tapatalk
That's what I'm using too. I'm actually on second one, as I dropped the first one. I actually did win a Red Sea refractometer at the last scrk meeting that I'm going to try out.