Almost ready to throw the towel in - HELP!

Hope ^ that fixes your problem. I think flow is tough to achieve in a large grown out SPS tank. I see a lot of old mature SPS tanks online, and some will have 4 huge Tunze pumps. I always thought that was crazy, but with those large colonies, u need that kind of flow. I think adding that pump will make a big difference. Good luck bud
Ya I agree...I'm just now realizing my flow issue. Thanks for always helping me out. Your input always helps a lot.

Did you have any conches in your tank. They seem to consume detritus, although I'm not 100% sure of that. They just seem to keep the sand bed clean

I have 2 conches. There's no way they could have kept up with the amount of detritus I had. Like I said, I had no idea what a mess I had going on until I tore my tank apart. Lesson learned. I am going to be making a large COC purchase this weekend at RAP. Thanks for your reply Mark.

I have some bad detritus sand issues and the conches don't do much other than drag their asses around and make trail marks. I think I'm gonna have to rethink my flow. Not enough is getting stirred up in the sand bed. I'm growing weary of these two MP40's.

mark.a.smith405

Premium Member
Supporter
Flow is difficult with sand beds. That's part of the reason I went BB. I have a PH in the bottom left corner of my tank blowing all detritus to the front. This way I see it all and my tunzes can pick up some/most into the water colmn and into the sump

I have some bad detritus sand issues and the conches don't do much other than drag their asses around and make trail marks. I think I'm gonna have to rethink my flow. Not enough is getting stirred up in the sand bed. I'm growing weary of these two MP40's.
Yours too? lol. I have the same conches. Cute but not very effective in a 180.

Flow is difficult with sand beds. That's part of the reason I went BB. I have a PH in the bottom left corner of my tank blowing all detritus to the front. This way I see it all and my tunzes can pick up some/most into the water colmn and into the sump
Ya I have a DSB and I like it but it does come with some challenges. I'm hoping my new WP40 will help a lot.

I've also been considering the Maxspect Gyre pump for more flow. But I don't have any holes in my eurobracing to pass the cable through.

I've also been considering the Maxspect Gyre pump for more flow. But I don't have any holes in my eurobracing to pass the cable through.
I don't have the holes in mine either. I have a canopy so I'm going to just bring it front the back and try and bring the cord as close to the back corner as I can and use a black tie strap and plastic clip stuck on the glass to position the cord near the back corner edge of the glass. I don't think it will be very visable. I'm not sure what setup you have going on (I don't think I've seen a FTS from you :0 )...but I feel your pain.

Yea I'm gunna be ordering one as soon as they are available.

I think adding a wp40/Tunze pump is a necessity with 2 Vortech pumps. Even the 2-mp60s I have aren't enough flow for me 250. I was hoping that the mp40 I added would be enough, but it's not. It doesn't move water across the tank like a Tunze/WP40 does. Hoping the Gyre fixes my problem.

So where is the new scape Rob?
ya ya ya... lol. Cody I'm not quite ready to post a FTS yet. Give me a few days. Still to many things FS pieces laying all over and they're big so everything looks messy. I pretty much sold everything (as of today) and will be meeting some buyers at RAP to deliver so hopefully over the weekend I'll be able to clean it up and take a pic. More to come.

Last week was very productive. SOLD tons of corals which are now all out of my tank. Saturday spent all day at RAP. Sunday did a nice WC and finally was able to mount corals I bought at RAP and others that needed to be moved around. With the $$$ from the corals I sold I was able to purchase (2) Radions PRO Gen 2 LEDs fixtures. I should be getting those Tuesday. I also just ordered the ReefLink. I hope to have both in hand before next weekend so I can take out (2) 80w T5's to make room for these new LED fixtures. I seen tanks lit the way I'm going and I can't wait! So, I put the towel back in the drawer and I'm getting excited about my new revived tank. It might take me a year or 2 to get back to where it was but that's to be expected. Thanks to all of you that talked me off the cliff. I'll try to post a few pictures of my new scape soon on my photo thread.

Forgot to mention I'll be running (4) 80w ATI Blue Plus and 2 Radions.

Last week was very productive. SOLD tons of corals which are now all out of my tank. Saturday spent all day at RAP. Sunday did a nice WC and finally was able to mount corals I bought at RAP and others that needed to be moved around. With the $$$ from the corals I sold I was able to purchase (2) Radions PRO Gen 2 LEDs fixtures. I should be getting those Tuesday. I also just ordered the ReefLink. I hope to have both in hand before next weekend so I can take out (2) 80w T5's to make room for these new LED fixtures. I seen tanks lit the way I'm going and I can't wait! So, I put the towel back in the drawer and I'm getting excited about my new revived tank. It might take me a year or 2 to get back to where it was but that's to be expected. Thanks to all of you that talked me off the cliff. I'll try to post a few pictures of my new scape soon on my photo thread.

Forgot to mention I'll be running (4) 80w ATI Blue Plus and 2 Radions.
Awesome Rob! You'll love the combo of T5 and LED! Glad to hear you're back on board!

I can testify to how Robs tank looks since the new aqua scape. Its looks awesome as usual ! I was there a few days ago. Keep up the good work Rob.. :)

I can testify to how Robs tank looks since the new aqua scape. Its looks awesome as usual ! I was there a few days ago. Keep up the good work Rob.. :)
Thank you so much Keith! It's a work in progress but I'm having fun getting it all up to speed again. BTW your tank is coming along nicely as well sir.

Latest posts