LPS bleaching..Torch, war coral and open brain

Smite

Premium Member
Supporter
2020 POTM
I recently did a blackout to treat for dinos, it lasted for 3 days.

1st day back I ran my t5s, 2x actinic + and 2x true actinic for 6 hours.
2nd day I turned my halide back on for a 3 hour period and did a 5 gal water change. I skimmed super wet during the days of blackout emptying the cup in the morning and at night.

Could this really have shocked the coral? after only a 3 day black out?
I changed my carbon out as well. Only thing I did different was pack the remaining space in my tlf will filter floss so I could increase my flow without tumbling the granules. < I'm wondering if I stripped my water of trace elements? All other coral seem fine at the moment, only the LPS have show ill effects. My scolly's center looks much darker than usual?

Glad to be rid of they dinos but hate to lose some of these LPS.

I was worried about temp swings so I added a chiller, my tank stays within 2/3 degrees (77 night & 79/80 once halides kick on). Is that still too much of a swing?

Cal - 440
Alk- 9.6
Mag- dropped a bit 1290 from 1500 a week prior.
Phos- 0
Nitrate < 10 as far as I can tell with the API colors.
Ammonia and Nitrite - 0

It could have been the carbon not the blackout. Or a combination of the two. Fresh carbon, and using too much, would increase light intensity through your water column. Or no lights for 3 days then intense lighting like it was before could have shocked and bleached them.

Smite

Premium Member
Supporter
2020 POTM
Eased but only over 2 days. First day only t5 actinic and then worked in the metal halide for a shorter photo period.

Saw these guys today....Not looking so good. Need to try to identify them. I don't see them on any other LPS, my acans seem fine. MIght be time to try out a bayers dips as Coral RX must not have caught these. Starting to see skeleton in the center, and the tissue is turning black.

Looks like it might be a bacterial infection. Dont quote me on this because i am probably wrong. Also those are scolymia's or was the specific name what you were going after?

Latest posts